Is it safe to use an 8 pin eps extension cable?

VeriX_

Reputable
Mar 2, 2017
So I've been using this cable for about a month now, and it has been fine since. I'm just getting worried just by looking at it since it's a cheap $1 extension cable with no company label or anything. Is it safe to use cheap extension cables for ur pc?

Solution
There are very few things you can do wrong with a cable.
If the insulation is bad, you can see it when building it in.
If the conductive inner wire has high resistance, the voltage drops. That can be measured by a multimeter.
Or the connector can have fitting problems, being loose or too hard to fit. Those you must have noticed by installation as well.

Even if the cable is cheap, there is no other cause for alarm. If you want to be sure, just check the voltage ;)

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018
There are very few things you can do wrong with a cable.
If the insulation is bad, you can see it when building it in.
If the conductive inner wire has high resistance, the voltage drops. That can be measured by a multimeter.
Or the connector can have fitting problems, being loose or too hard to fit. Those you must have noticed by installation as well.

Even if the cable is cheap, there is no other cause for alarm. If you want to be sure, just check the voltage ;)

Solution

VeriX_

Reputable
Mar 2, 2017

Just going to point it out now, when installing the cable one of the pins popped out from the female connector side, I had to put it back in again. It clicked when i popped it back in so i think it's fine?

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018

Well, then let us hope it stays in place. You need solid connection and stable voltages. That is all.