Question Is it safe to use an HDMI-to-VGA converter ?

Jul 13, 2024
I am in the process off building a computer. Temporarily I would like to use an HDMI-to-VGA converter. Is it safe? Am I risking my new parts?

Thanks

js2

Jul 16, 2024
I am in the process off building a computer. Temporarily I would like to use an HDMI-to-VGA converter. Is it safe? Am I risking my new parts?

Thanks
At worst you will get "no signal" as the VGA monitor might not be able to handle the resolution or refresh rate.
Then you are stuck with it being the adapter, monitor or card being the problem!

Best just use a TV to test it all, then lower your resolution to whatever the VGA monitor can handle, and then use the adapter.

Jul 23, 2024
Yeah, it's safe to use an HDMI-to-VGA converter, but make sure you get an active converter since HDMI is digital and VGA is analog. An active converter will properly handle the signal translation. The worst that could happen is that your monitor might not display anything if it can't handle the resolution or refresh rate.

To avoid any issues, you might wanna test it on a TV first and adjust the settings before connecting to your VGA monitor.