[SOLVED] Is it safe to use i7 of the 4th gen nowdays ?

SeverinV

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2016
So i was thinking to change my i5-4460 to i7-4770 but due to recent vulnerability reports that went viral, it is unsafe to use the i7 from older generations.
Is this really true ?
I would like to buy the i7 but i do not like having a back door to my pc .
The vulnerability is suppose to caused by the hyper-threading on intel cpu's.
Thanks for the info,
Cheers,

Solution
As i can recall internet security programs like eset, norton or kaspersky deactivates the windows firewall.
I never touch the downloaders, speed boosters, system optimisers or any other * like that.
Should i invest in malwarebytes premium then ?
No, they do not deactivate the Windows Firewall. They do turn off Windows Defender, the built in AV solution.

I use BitDefender Free, Malwarebytes, and the squishy gray stuff between my ears.
As long as you have Windows Firewall turned on, a real-time antivirus (Windows Defender comes with Windows) enabled, and a strong antivirus to perform weekly scans (I recommended the free version of Malwarebytes) then you should be ok. However, if you are someone who pirates software/games/music/movies then you are still at strong risk of getting 'attacked', regardless of whether there are vulnerabilities in the CPU or not. In addition to this, you need to keep Windows and antiviruses updated, only download drivers and software from the manufacturer's website, and never touch unofficial driver downloaders, speed boosters or system optimisers etc.

SeverinV

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2016
As long as you have Windows Firewall turned on, a real-time antivirus (Windows Defender comes with Windows) enabled, and a strong antivirus to perform weekly scans (I recommended the free version of Malwarebytes) then you should be ok. However, if you are someone who pirates software/games/music/movies then you are still at strong risk of getting 'attacked', regardless of whether there are vulnerabilities in the CPU or not. In addition to this, you need to keep Windows and antiviruses updated, only download drivers and software from the manufacturer's website, and never touch unofficial driver downloaders, speed boosters or system optimisers etc.
As i can recall internet security programs like eset, norton or kaspersky deactivates the windows firewall.
I never touch the downloaders, speed boosters, system optimisers or any other * like that.

USAFRet

Titan
No, they do not deactivate the Windows Firewall. They do turn off Windows Defender, the built in AV solution.

I use BitDefender Free, Malwarebytes, and the squishy gray stuff between my ears.

Solution