Question Is it safe to use iTop Easy Desktop, Portals and SideSlide?

Ralston18

Titan
Any added software of any sort may prove unsafe or otherwise problematic.

What concerns or problems are being experienced with the existing Windows desktop?

What Windows version etc. is currently installed?

Many Windows problems can be solved via Windows itself.

Update your post to include additional explanation about your desktop requirements.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
I got about 20-30 files and folders on my desktop. Sometimes I had a hard time to find the file/folder I want. Sometimes it takes time to distinguish between folders and files.
Tried the demo version of Fences and it solved my issue. However, I am not satisfied with CS of Stardock and they increased the price of the latest version by a lot.

I am running Windows 10 64-bit Professional.

Basically, I am looking for a software to separate files and folders and automatically put them in different regions on the desktop.

Ralston18

Titan
One way, that I use, is to change the folder and file icons and name them as descriptively as possible.

You can find collections of icons on line and then select any given icon to represent a file.

Right click > Properties > Customize is your friend.

FYI (and there are many other similar links:

https://www.lifewire.com/change-folder-icons-in-windows-11-5200732

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/customize-icon-windows/

For example: I have a desktop folder for photographs that I want to keep handy. The icon for that folder is a camera.

I use a server icon for my NAS. Utililies is a tool box icon.

Plus, I use the four corner areas of the desktop to further group related folders and files. The right center desktop area is for photographs, etc. that are to emailed as attachments or perhaps uploaded somewhere.

Some icons are parked right next to the trash can icon - so I know those folders are on the proverbial "chopping block".

About 30 icons right now but that varies with the season. Just removed the National Hurricane Center link. Four or five others (folders and files) will soon be gone. Seasonal stuff, research links, projects in progress.

Some being interim shortcuts that will not be needed for much longer. A couple of Powershell links that will go to the References folder or simply deleted depending on usefulness.

Some software and sites have their own icon so I make use of those icons as well.

No need for third party "organizers" that can change or otherwise go astray in some manner.

New icons, that appear from time to time, quickly standout.

I avoid dependencies on third party products and tools as much as possible.

Just create your own plan and then follow that plan. There will be outliers from time to time - designate a desktop area for them and then later move them to where you think is most appropriate.

Reactions: modeonoff

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Excellent suggestions!

I got some demo programs from Stardock including Fences. Recently my screen blinked often with the fences enlarged and returned to normal. I removed all those Stardock demo programs this morning and no issue for the entire day.

On the bottom right of the screen, in the taskbar, there is a desktop >>. When I right clicked on the >>, I see a list of folders and files. When I dragged the word desktop to the left, I saw dropbox, PC, etc. Is this part of Windows 10 or function of a software that I tried but forgot the name? I see those files are not sorted. Any way to sort them?

Ralston18

Titan
Do you mean the "Show the Desktop" ?

As for sorting that is possible.

In File Explorer, for example, if you select View > Details and move the mouse cursor into the column headers (Name, Status, Date,etc.. ) then a small downward or upward pointing ">" (arrow head) will appear where applicable. That is built into Windows.

Clicking that arrow head will change the sort from ascending to descending or vice versa. Or present other options that may be available. Direct click, right-clicks, left-clicks may provide varying sorting options.

Windows 10 has a built-in feature called "Multiple Desktops" which you can access by left-clicking on that Task View icon on the taskbar and then selecting "New Desktop +" at the top.

You just put all the shortcuts for any type of related work onto a different one of the desktops, so can essentially have a bunch of different work surfaces without having to install any 3rd party software. You do have to manually sort them at first but if you are working on any desktop then any new folders and shortcuts will naturally go there.