Is it safe to use referral link to buy computers at Ebates?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, on Reddit, somebody posted a referral link to buy Thinkpads via Ebates. Is it safe to use such referral link? Will that person get access to my personal and bank info?

When people post referral links--especially when the posting is out of context--to places like Reddit, Instagram, Twitter, FB, et al, it's usually considered to be "bad form" and bordering on SPAM.

The link may ultimately lead to something you were thinking of buying anyway, but I usually either remove the referral data, or look it up someplace that is considered to be reputable where it usually commands a lower price; and I've never seen an Ebates offering that I couldn't find on my own at an equivalent, or lower, price, so there is really no benefit to be had.

There really is no point in rewarding overt profiteering on the Internet...it just encourages further SPAMmy posts.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Is it safe if I just go to the Ebates website, create a new account using another email address and make the purchase without the link from somebody?

Sometimes people just post discounts code on the web. I found those more useful as I don't need to create an account.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Actually how does it work? When I went to the Lenovo link from Ebates website and purchased something, Ebates knew about it and gave me some rebate credits. It won't know my credit card number? It only knows that I bought somebody from the vendor via a link from its website and gives me some money?