Question Is it safe to watch movies from pen drive?

Ganesh Ujwal123

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2015
My pen drive is kingston 4 GB. Video file is 1.2 GB mkv file.

My HDD is dying, so I switched to pen drive.

Is it safe to watch movies from pen drive?

I'm not sure if your trolling but okay...
What do you mean safe, safe for the pc? or for the drive?
If you don't unplug during watching should't have problems with either.
If your concern for the longevity of the drive if its reading (watching movie) from it, its not suppose to be a problem at all... aslo its just a pendrive like 3-4$?? Why are you so worried to write about it...

Ganesh Ujwal123

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2015
I'm not sure if your trolling but okay...
What do you mean safe, safe for the pc? or for the drive?
If you don't unplug during watching should't have problems with either.
If your concern for the longevity of the drive if its reading (watching movie) from it its not suppose to be a problem at all... aslo its just a pendrive like 3-4$???
I already mentioned My HDD is dying, so I switched to pen drive.

HDD is slow, so I plug in USB and watching movies from it.

No, I think your are new to computing. Right now I am watching movie on said USB whereas windows 7 start up is slow due to dying HDD.
I would advice you to not say someone is new to computing when asking them for help on computers. And he is right. When your HDD dies, you won't even get to Windows loading screen, let alone plug in a USB and play movies.

Reactions: MaxDC15

MaxDC15

Honorable
Dec 3, 2015
The answer to your direct question is - it is safe to watch movies from the pen drive.

But you seem to be missing the point. In fact, you may not even be able to watch movies very soon.

The HDD is the backbone of your computer, which is also responsible for running it by housing the OS. Your pen drive is only a small storage device that helps you save files. You should be more worried about your HDD than your pen drive and should take steps to replace it.

If you read the above responses carefully you will realize what your real and most immediate problem is.

Hint: It is not your pen drive.

I have a large collection of DVD movies on optical discs. I recently transferred them to an external 8TB hard drive. If I were to watch these movies on my TV, I would copy the desired movies to a pen drive, and then plug that pen drive into my TV. The alternative would be to disconnect and reconnect the HDD, and then have it spinning for the full 1 or 2 hours that the movie runs. If the pen drive is of good quality, I expect that I should be able to rewrite it 1000 times before it starts to degrade.