[SOLVED] Is it smart to wait for nex-gen CPUs for RTX 3000 series builds?

NoLongerHuman

Commendable
Sep 3, 2020
Is it smart to wait for nex-gen CPUs for 3000 series builds? Or should we just get what’s available? Cyberpunk is coming and people are going to be rabid to make new builds which means parts will become scarce. Also the impact of COVID has diminished production of pc parts as well. Should we get what we can? Or wait for the new stuff coming soon.

Solution
Yeah but what about pcie 4.0? I know AMD is 4.0 capable and bigger games later on in the generation will benefit greater from 4.0

Seems unlikely. We've just gotten to the point at which the 2080 Ti just barely gets a couple percentage-point benefit from 3.0x16 vs. 3.0x8. By the time a GPU cares about PCIE 4.0 by any significant amount, we'll be buying motherboards with PCIE 5.0 or 6.0 (they're so close there's a chance that the market just goes straight to 6.0).

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Or wait for the new stuff coming soon.

There's always new stuff coming 'soon', relatively speaking. If you always waited for the next X, you'd never buy anything.

Wait for independent 3000 series reviews before making any decisions.

Much like any GPU launch, current (higher end) CPUs should be plenty sufficient to unleash their potential. There's always the theoretically possibility that it could happen - but why would a GPU manufacturer launch a high end GPU without an available CPU that pairs with it nicely? Seems like a terrible business decision.

I wouldn't wait because well... It's not really going to matter all that much in my opinion. AMD will only just be catching up to Intel in gaming performance and 3rd gen Ryzen is still good enough. While AMD 3rd gen Ryzen won't be able to give you as much power from the RTX 3080 or 3090 at 1440p for example with RT off I think the fps will already be high enough that really quite frankly who cares? And with RT on I think the GPU will be the bottleneck for sure.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah but what about pcie 4.0? I know AMD is 4.0 capable and bigger games later on in the generation will benefit greater from 4.0

Seems unlikely. We've just gotten to the point at which the 2080 Ti just barely gets a couple percentage-point benefit from 3.0x16 vs. 3.0x8. By the time a GPU cares about PCIE 4.0 by any significant amount, we'll be buying motherboards with PCIE 5.0 or 6.0 (they're so close there's a chance that the market just goes straight to 6.0).

Reactions: Barty1884
Solution