[SOLVED] Is it still a bad idea to buy used GPUs? (or used hardware in general)

Fect123

Prominent
Feb 17, 2021
is there any details i should look out for if i were to buy a used one? i've heard theyre usually dodgy crypto cards so i always buy new.

Solution
First, no matter what, buying used carries risk. You can do everything "right", and still have problems. There are steps you can take to minmize the risk, but understand that no matter what you are taking a risk.

The first thing I'd do is figure out what the card you want normally goes for used. If XYZ card can be found new for $800, and $500-600 used, and you see it for $300, then you should assume it's a scammer. Things that are way to cheap like that normally are being sold as many times as the scammer can before he gets caught. Second, find a good place to buy from. Some people like buying local via facebook marketplace or Craigslist. You can physically see the card, and possibly even see it working. If you meet at...
only buy used if it is from a retailer that has good return/refund policies like eBay, Amazon, etc.
if buying locally you should always make the seller show you the product in use first.

if they are newer cards being sold as used then the reason tends to be a malfunctioning product a lot of the time.

4745454b

Titan
First, no matter what, buying used carries risk. You can do everything "right", and still have problems. There are steps you can take to minmize the risk, but understand that no matter what you are taking a risk.

The first thing I'd do is figure out what the card you want normally goes for used. If XYZ card can be found new for $800, and $500-600 used, and you see it for $300, then you should assume it's a scammer. Things that are way to cheap like that normally are being sold as many times as the scammer can before he gets caught. Second, find a good place to buy from. Some people like buying local via facebook marketplace or Craigslist. You can physically see the card, and possibly even see it working. If you meet at sellers house you can even know where he lives so it removes some of the scammers. The downside is your local market might not have what you want. Understand that the bigger the website you buy from, the greater the chances that you'll have issues. If your going to scam someone you need as many eyeballs looking as your fake card as possible.

I have bought many used GPUs from the FS/FT forums on forums like this one. There is usually a minimum post count needed to post in this places. So look for established members. Look for someone selling it with the box. These tend to be treated better than someone just selling the card. If you are going to spend a lot of money try getting real info about them such as a phone number that you call before sending them money, or a real email address. Real email meaning @Comcast or other internet provider, not @gmail. Get their heatware, beerology, ebay, etc. Make sure they've done this before.

I've seen established members scam people. Nothing what I typed above means you won't have issues. But in general these are the steps I've taken to make sure things go smooth. Worst thing that happened to me was a DOA motherboard which the seller took back.

Reactions: Fect123
Solution