Question Is it still better to reinstall Windows after getting a new motherboard?

yaggaz

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
So ever since Windows 95 back in the day, I have always backed up and restored Windows when the hardware upgrades included a new motherboard. Heck I even just did it every six months without new hardcore.

So I am about to go from a z270 to a z490 and am wondering if it's still necessary anymore? Psychologically I always love that format fresh feeling, but is there still an important reason to do it?

hotaru.hino

Prominent
Sep 1, 2020
I don't believe it's required, but if you don't want to deal with potential issues you should.

Though Windows licenses tie itself to the motherboard for OEM based keys, so you may need to get another license key.

yaggaz

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
It is often required.

Also, see this
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
Yessir been doing that for a while now. Made an account and linked my windows to it a few years back. I actually recently reinstalled windows a couple months back when I got my Evo SSD, as soon as I logged into my account it considered my Windows activated and "linked to my account."

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS