[SOLVED] Is it straight forward to remove my cooling to install a new CPU?

Dec 12, 2020
Hi all, and hoping you'll be able to help me please. It's my first time doing this. I've added a photo below, which I hope helps provide more info:

View: https://imgur.com/e6NL4A1

I'm most worried about doing something wrong removing the water cooling block and want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. I assume I just carefully undo the screws holding down the cooler block, then remove the old CPU and replace with the new one?

Mobo is: Asus TUF B360M-E Gaming
New CPU is: Intel Core i9-9900

If anyone would be able to advise me on getting started that would be great.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
Don't undo the screws 1 at a time on the pump head. Crack them all loose first, in an X pattern. This prevents undue amounts of pressure on the socket pins in opposing corners.

Once loose, it's easy removal of the head, do a thorough cleaning (don't slosh, better to use a barely damp coffee filter and take the time to clean than rushing the job and flooding the area).

Don't remove the old cpu until the moment you replace it. More accidental damage happens by ppl removing the old cpu and leaving an open socket for extended periods of time, whether that's minutes or hours doesn't matter.

This isn't a difficult procedure, ranking between 2 and 3 on the scale on 1-10, but it is just as easy to mess up if you don't apply common sense...
Well, you seem to have an intel cpu, so it is held by the arm thingy, and so, as long as you have the right cpu (check it's compatible. Intel only allows 2 generations per motherboard. 6 and 7th gen, 8th and 9th, 10th and future 11th.)
Also, you should clean both the cpu you are taking out and the cooler itself, and replacing the thermal compound.

Dec 12, 2020
Well, you seem to have an intel cpu, so it is held by the arm thingy, and so, as long as you have the right cpu (check it's compatible. Intel only allows 2 generations per motherboard. 6 and 7th gen, 8th and 9th, 10th and future 11th.)
Also, you should clean both the cpu you are taking out and the cooler itself, and replacing the thermal compound.

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I was most worried about doing something wrong when removing the water cooling block. I assume it's a self contained?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Don't undo the screws 1 at a time on the pump head. Crack them all loose first, in an X pattern. This prevents undue amounts of pressure on the socket pins in opposing corners.

Once loose, it's easy removal of the head, do a thorough cleaning (don't slosh, better to use a barely damp coffee filter and take the time to clean than rushing the job and flooding the area).

Don't remove the old cpu until the moment you replace it. More accidental damage happens by ppl removing the old cpu and leaving an open socket for extended periods of time, whether that's minutes or hours doesn't matter.

This isn't a difficult procedure, ranking between 2 and 3 on the scale on 1-10, but it is just as easy to mess up if you don't apply common sense well enough. Patience is a virtue, don't be in a hurry and you'll do ok.

Solution