Question Is it the GPU (again)?

ozzi3

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
Hi,

It's just a couple days ago since I created a thread about my gpu issue. Everything went well after that. I repasted it. The performence was quite good from temp 75C (idle) to 66C (running) after repasting. But today when I turned it on I saw a black screen. It got to normal after I restart. But after continuing working with the PC, the heatsink went noisy at 70C. I decided to restart but the black screen came back - now with even more noisy fan. I know it's an old graphic card (ati radeon hd5450), but is there anything I can do except buying a new one? Or Is it another issue what I'm having here? 🙏

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
have you considered replace the ailing HD5450 with another gpu? Basically, several low cost gpu's can perform better. Spending a small amount can solve your problems.

oh, and I own a still working HD5450. Decent gpu actually for playing certain old Xbox games. Paired it with a dinosaur Q9500, and they work well together. But I eventually shelved the HD5450, and just keep it in a box as a goodluck charm of sorts. The Q9500 is still in active service, and I have it paired with a better gpu.

Last edited:

ozzi3

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
Expected lifetime on low use is 5yrs., doubt the warranty was 3yrs., they cut back to just 1yr. a while back.
Ok so what's your call. I still need to finish my work with that pc. So far it takes 2 to 4 times forceful reboot to get into windows. Hope don't break it until near future. Is it really with the gpu? I need a clear cut diagnose if you don't mind.

Ok so what's your call. I still need to finish my work with that pc. So far it takes 2 to 4 times forceful reboot to get into windows. Hope don't break it until near future. Is it really with the gpu? I need a clear cut diagnose if you don't mind.
If your motherboard has onboard graphics, I would try using that and see if you still get black screen issues. It's possible the issue is being caused by the motherboard itself.