[SOLVED] Is it the GPU failing or the PSU?

Elite007

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2013
So from a few days I am facing this issue where the screen would go completely blank i.e monitor goes into power saving, audio cuts off and the PC has to be restarted manually. NumLock and Keyboard RGB also locks out so the complete system is frozen. I have tried reinstalling GPU drivers to no avail. It happens mostly during gaming but it's completely random, sometimes it happens twice or thrice in an hour or won't happen at all in 2 hours. I ran furmark stress test for 5 mins and it ran fine (temps below 90 and below 80 in most of the games I play).

P.S No artifacts or any sort of graphical glitches occuring.

So, any clue if it's the PSU or the GPU?
Thanks.

SPECS:
I5 10400F
ASUS ROG RX 570 4GB
HYNIX 2X8GB DDR4
AOC 24G2 144HZ
ANTEC 450W PSU

Solution
The Antec PSU is pretty cheap, I had one not long ago and compared to a corsair of the same wattage standard, it was half the weight. I trust weight! Weight = quality ha ha.

It wouldn't hurt to try another PSU, get it from Amazon, try it for a week, if it solves your problem keep it, if not, return it. Personally I love Corsair PSU's.

Not all of them are cheap. Some are very fine units, built by Seasonic, like this one.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($78.15 @ Amazon)
Total: $78.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-04 10:09 EDT-0400
include the actual make & model of the PSU along with it's time in use.
tried reinstalling GPU drivers
just re-running the latest AMD driver installation package or actually removed the graphical drivers & data with DDU first?
temps below 90 and below 80
what temps exactly?

what CPU & GPU temperatures are you seeing while the system is idling?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
An outright hard lockup is unlikely to be the GPU.... Not impossible, but not a typical symptom.
Losing display, artifacts or something would be more indicative of a GPU problem.

Hard locks are more likely be instability somewhere (overclock, unstable XMP etc) or potentially even driver issues (sans GPU).

it's completely random, sometimes it happens twice or thrice in an hour or won't happen at all in 2 hours.

What are you doing at these time? Is it one or two particular games or applications? Wil lit lock up just at the desktop/idle?

Apr 20, 2022
The Antec PSU is pretty cheap, I had one not long ago and compared to a corsair of the same wattage standard, it was half the weight. I trust weight! Weight = quality ha ha.

It wouldn't hurt to try another PSU, get it from Amazon, try it for a week, if it solves your problem keep it, if not, return it. Personally I love Corsair PSU's.

logainofhades

Titan

Not all of them are cheap. Some are very fine units, built by Seasonic, like this one.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($78.15 @ Amazon)
Total: $78.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-04 10:09 EDT-0400

OP: I would definitely recommend a higher wattage, quality PSU. What is probably a 450w budget unit isn't really suitable for your GPU. The one I listed here would be a fine choice, and give you a little upgrade headroom as well.

Solution

Elite007

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2013
include the actual make & model of the PSU along with it's time in use.

just re-running the latest AMD driver installation package or actually removed the graphical drivers & data with DDU first?

what temps exactly?

what CPU & GPU temperatures are you seeing while the system is idling?
The PSU was Antec VP450 and have been using it for 3 years.
I removed the drivers through DDU before reinstalling.
CPU Temps are 40C on idle and 60 under load.