Question Is it the PSU being too weak ?

derscharfschutze69

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
So I bought a i5 9600kf, a B365 Pro from MSI(I will buy a new one for OC later) and an aftermarket cooler. I also have a rx580 nitro 8gb as my gpu.
I installed them and checked the CPU for temps, all cores around 39 degrees Celsius idle, 60 full load. Ok gucci. I tried hunt showdown on max, no problem. Then I tried playing rainbow six siege, played one game with 160 fps avg no problem but after that it crashed and rebooted.
I think its from the PSU but I cannot tell. I have stress tested both the CPU and the GPU to draw as much power as possible and nothing can crash it except just loading into r6 siege now..
My PSU is a Inter Tech 650w Energon CM and for all intents and purposes it has held up beyond warranty and never failed me on my i5 7600.
Any way to know if it reboots because of the PSU, I can upgrade but I want to know if I should upgrade.
Help me please,I am losing my mind.

First try running GPU-Z and HWinfo 64 and you should be able to see the total wattage consumption there for both CPU and GPU. However I can tell you right now that 650W is more than enough to power that system. Does it crash immediately after you exit the game or like a few minutes afterwards?

derscharfschutze69

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
First try running GPU-Z and HWinfo 64 and you should be able to see the total wattage consumption there for both CPU and GPU. However I can tell you right now that 650W is more than enough to power that system. Does it crash immediately after you exit the game or like a few minutes afterwards?
It crashes after a few seconds of running the game. So far it crashed in Pheonix Point and R6 Siege but other similar games like Hunt Showdown or Insurgency Sandstorm have no problem on the highest of settings.
I honestly have no idea what to do, PSU calculator says I need around 550w so....

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
My PSU is a Inter Tech 650w Energon CM and for all intents and purposes it has held up beyond warranty and never failed me on my i5 7600.

Judging by what little info I've found in a brief search, you're lucky the PSU has held up this long and hasn't harmed your system.

From this page, where someone asked it was wise to use it:
The Inter-Tech Energon series is some of the worst junk around so yes throw it into the nearest dumpster ASAP

So, even if it's not the source of your problems, I would highly recommend getting a known, high quality PSU. The first link in my sig takes you to what I think is a very good guide.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
How much do you intend to spend for a PSU? I suggest not lower than 70$

Agreed, but it does also depend on your country, and which country you're ordering from, etc., There can be less availability.

Still, the PSU is the lifeblood of your system - a good one will deliver clean power and protect your components, a bad one can shorten the lifespan of your components, or fail, and possibly take other parts with it.

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Agreed, but it does also depend on your country, and which country you're ordering from, etc., There can be less availability.

Still, the PSU is the lifeblood of your system - a good one will deliver clean power and protect your components, a bad one can shorten the lifespan of your components, or fail, and possibly take other parts with it.
Yeah sorry forgot to ask which country they're from.

derscharfschutze69

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
How much do you intend to spend for a PSU? I suggest not lower than 70$
Around 70 to 100$. Anything more expensive would not be worth it.
PSU calculator says I need around 600w and it recommended an 850w beast at 200 euros.. yea Removed that.
The thing is that I dont know if the PSU is the problem, stress testing or playing similar games does not crash the system,only those 2 specific games. I have moved them around from SSD to HDD,tried reinstalling, tried opting out of AMD auto overclock which I thought was the issue.. I am out of ideas at this point..

Last edited by a moderator:

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Around 70 to 100$. Anything more expensive would not be worth it.
PSU calculator says I need around 600w and it recommended an 850w beast at 200 euros.. yea Removed that.
The thing is that I dont know if the PSU is the problem, stress testing or playing similar games does not crash the system,only those 2 specific games. I have moved them around from SSD to HDD,tried reinstalling, tried opting out of AMD auto overclock which I thought was the issue.. I am out of ideas at this point..
It may not be, but your current PSU is trash and because it is rated at 650w it doesn't mean that it can supply that kind of wattage to your parts. A good PSU may not fix the issue, but your parts will be WAY more protected. Here's a few PSU recommendations:
Corsair TX650M
EVGA SuperNova 650 G3 Y2
Seasonic Focus Plus 650 Gold
Corsair RM650x

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
850W? No, that sounds insane. There is no way your system would ever need that much.

i5-9600kf - 95W, but say if pushed, maybe 140W at most
RX 580 - 190W, but say if pushed, 240W at most
Motherboard, RAM, etc - I generally approximate at 100W as a safe number.

So, I would say your system could never pull more than about 480W under any circumstances. And probably never even hits THAT high.

Therefore, a high quality 550W would be just fine, though 650W would give you more headroom. Plus, there's times when the 650W version of a particular model goes for maybe only a few $ or Euro more, the same as, or occasionally, less, than its 550W counterpart.

I'm on board with @ProPlayerGR's recommendations. The link in my sig will go into more detail, and give a few more options.

Last edited:

derscharfschutze69

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
It may not be, but your current PSU is trash and because it is rated at 650w it doesn't mean that it can supply that kind of wattage to your parts. A good PSU may not fix the issue, but your parts will be WAY more protected. Here's a few PSU recommendations:
Corsair TX650M
EVGA SuperNova 650 G3 Y2
Seasonic Focus Plus 650 Gold
Corsair RM650x
Thanks man.

derscharfschutze69

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
Watch the language
850W? No, that sounds insane. There is no way your system would ever need that much.

i5-9600kf - 95W, but say if pushed, maybe 140W at most
RX 580 - 190W, but say if pushed, 240W at most
Motherboard, RAM, etc - I generally approximate at 100W as a safe number.

So, I would say your system could never pull more than about 480W under any circumstances. And probably never even hits THAT high.

Therefore, a high quality 550W would be just fine, though 650W would give you more headroom. Plus, there's times when the 650W version of a particular model goes for maybe only a few $ or Euro more, the same as, or occasionally, less, than its 550W counterpart.

I'm on board with @ProPlayerGR's recommendations. The link in my sig will go into more detail, and give a few more options.
Yea I know it was waaay too much for what I have. You were spot on with your wattage,according to PSU calculator. I do not know a lot about PSU's and never installed one,I have installed anything else but a PSU..
I am going to buy one even if it doesnt fix the issue because I do not want a Removed time bomb in my PC let alone my home.
Thanks for all the help.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
When you built the pc, did you just install windows on the drive, or did you also go to the MSI support page and download all the motherboard chipset drivers, like audio, Lan, pcie, Sata, USB etc.

Or did you pull the OS drive from the old mobo and just add the new mobo without changing the drivers?

derscharfschutze69

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
When you built the pc, did you just install windows on the drive, or did you also go to the MSI support page and download all the motherboard chipset drivers, like audio, Lan, pcie, Sata, USB etc.

Or did you pull the OS drive from the old mobo and just add the new mobo without changing the drivers?
I wiped everything and reinstalled windows 10 Pro alongside the new MBO drivers.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
R6 has been crashing on a lot of ppl ever since the last u-play update, what's been recommended is uninstalling u-play, and going to the website and reinstalling a fresh copy. Many opted to install an older version, and that stopped the crashes, but not sure how they did that.

With the amount of crashes experienced after the update, it's kinda hard to diagnose your pc crashing when loading or a few minutes into that game.

As to Phoenix Point, no idea, never heard of it until now, but there's multiple ppl reporting crashes with all the Unity games. Some have claimed there's settings in graphics that can be disabled that fixes it, some have said that certain cards have issues with race settings.

derscharfschutze69

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
R6 has been crashing on a lot of ppl ever since the last u-play update, what's been recommended is uninstalling u-play, and going to the website and reinstalling a fresh copy. Many opted to install an older version, and that stopped the crashes, but not sure how they did that.

With the amount of crashes experienced after the update, it's kinda hard to diagnose your pc crashing when loading or a few minutes into that game.

As to Phoenix Point, no idea, never heard of it until now, but there's multiple ppl reporting crashes with all the Unity games. Some have claimed there's settings in graphics that can be disabled that fixes it, some have said that certain cards have issues with race settings.
I know that but it is not the game crashing. Its the whole system and then it reboots after a second. When the GPU crashes you should only get a black screen with "No Signal" but the rest of the would still be on,fans working etc.
I thought the problem was from AMD's auto overclock as it states that the PC might reboot or crash if I use it. Even if I have it turned off the result is the same.
Why does it crash in loading screen sometimes or after a game or not at all is beyond me... I mean it would draw more power in a game rather than the loading screen..
I am changing the PSU anyway to a Corsair VS650w soon. God help me with the cable management.

derscharfschutze69

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
So update.. I found out that it is a PSU problem after all. I tried running OCCT on the Power setting to test out my PC under maximum load. It crashed instantly like it would with some games. This means that the PSU is simply unable to deliver 650w constantly. I will go and buy a Corsair VS650w as soon as I can. In the meantime I will just try and play games like LoL and other low spec titles.
Thanks for all the help guys !

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
So update.. I found out that it is a PSU problem after all. I tried running OCCT on the Power setting to test out my PC under maximum load. It crashed instantly like it would with some games. This means that the PSU is simply unable to deliver 650w constantly. I will go and buy a Corsair VS650w as soon as I can. In the meantime I will just try and play games like LoL and other low spec titles.
Thanks for all the help guys !
I highly suggest that you don't buy that PSU as it is a low quality one. You should buy one from the ones I listed or from that post: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ussion-and-recommended-models-thread.3212332/
. If you wanna listen to me ok, but that PSU you want to buy will not make a huge difference from what you have right now. It will certainly be better but your parts will not be well protected. Do what you want, that's just my advice.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Be very careful with where/what VS you buy. There's 2 different models, the older style (seriously no better than what you have now) which has Yellow bubbly/blocky lettering, and the newer style which is a revamp totally and a far better psu than it was. This will have black/silver/grey design/lettering. In your part of the world, Both are still sold as there's massive overstock still floating around, and if you ask for the VS650 there's a really good chance it'll be the old version, it'll be slightly cheaper and salesman will say it's only because it's last year's model, but the same thing. It isn't, by a long shot.

but that PSU you want to buy will not make a huge difference from what you have right now. It will certainly be better but your parts will not be well protected. Do what you want, that's just my advice.

You are so completely wrong, it is mind blowing.

If you don't know anything about PSUs, you should not participate in the conversation.

VS has all of the protections you would expect from a quality PSU. Just because it's "only" 80 PLUS doesn't mean it's a bomb. The unit he has now has no PFC, hardly any power on the +12V rail, uses nothing but cheap components.... it's a night and day difference.

Sure, it's the cheapest of any other Corsair PSU made today, but the list of PSUs out there that are worse than it is longer than the list of PSUs that are actually better.

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
You are so completely wrong, it is mind blowing.

If you don't know anything about PSUs, you should not participate in the conversation.

VS has all of the protections you would expect from a quality PSU. Just because it's "only" 80 PLUS doesn't mean it's a bomb. The unit he has now has no PFC, hardly any power on the +12V rail, uses nothing but cheap components.... it's a night and day difference.

Sure, it's the cheapest of any other Corsair PSU made today, but the list of PSUs out there that are worse than it is longer than the list of PSUs that are actually better.
Ok don't get angry at me, I'm still learning, I'm just talking from personal experience. I had a Corsair VS650 paired with my old FX 9370 and I had so many problems with it, that's why I'm against it. And judging by what you guys post in these forums, they are not the best units. I know my knowledge about PSU's is so limited compared to yours, but that doesn't mean I can't participate in a conversation, I'm just saying what I think would be best for his system. I'm not trying to be a smartass. I'm so grateful for these forums as all of you guys have helped me so many times, I can't describe how thankful I am. You were the ones that inspired me to help people here in the forums, but suddenly you are attacking me out of nowhere. Sorry if I offended you or something else, I won't be answering questions I don't have any knowledge on, from now on. Sorry again.

Last edited: