Question Is it time for a new CPU

Jul 12, 2019
Hello recently my computer has been encountering problems such as freezing in squad and I have to keep my settings on low. Now I was thinking about getting a new cpu since my gpu is pretty much up to date its a GTX 1050TI and my cpu is a AMD fx(tm) 8320. So does anyone think the cpu is just outdated and I should upgrade to a higher version or its another type of problem. Also I have 12gb of ram.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The 8320 is very much a dated architecture at this point.
While it's respectable enough if you already have it, I wouldn't look to upgrade on the same socket.

If you decide you want to, I'd look to an entirely new platform (CPU+MB+DDR4).

However, are you monitoring utilization (CPU, RAM, GPU) while gaming? What about temperatures?

Jul 12, 2019
What would you recommend I do i'm unfamiliar with pc parts and I just want to be able to run my games on high to ultra. I was thinking about a new motherboard but I dont know any good ones

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What games do you play? A 1050TI is probably a bit of a struggle for High/Ultra on anything other than like CS:GO, Fortnite etc.
Those titles are fairly CPU intensive, so your 8320 would definitely be holding you back.

You wouldn't be simply replacing the "motherboard", you'd have to look to CPU+MB+RAM.

What kind of budget would you be working with?

Jul 12, 2019
I play mostly MMO games such as Arma 3, Squad and games that require high end pcs. I also play VR on this computer. When I used to play csgo my pc held up nicely no issues. I just want a good cpu that is compatible with my motherboard sadly thats only AMD I would love a Intel CPU. My budget is mostly $100-$400 I want something good or something that can hold up on the cheaper side of today's games.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I play mostly MMO games such as Arma 3, Squad and games that require high end pcs. I also play VR on this computer. When I used to play csgo my pc held up nicely no issues. I just want a good cpu that is compatible with my motherboard sadly thats only AMD I would love a Intel CPU.

Any CPU compatible with that board is not going to be an improvement over what you have. The CPU itself is dated, and the underlying architecture is ~8 years old at this point.

Titles like Squad recommended an i7-4790K from launch, a CPU with a much, much better IPC vs the FX architecture. They've revamped that since, to a minimum of 4 core Intel or Ryzen CPU, and recommended of 6 core for Intel or Ryzen.
Your CPU just cannot compete with those. There's no getting around it. Even lowering things like resolution scale, or in-game settings will push frame rates higher, putting more strain on the already weak CPU.

Either way, an update is going to require a new CPU+MB+RAM. On a budget, I'd stick with AMD on their newer Ryzen platform. I'd say the minimum you should be looking at for that upgrade is about $250-$260. You could always spend more, or less.... but this would be a good route to go:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($139.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($64.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $264.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-12 19:40 EDT-0400