[SOLVED] Is it time for a new rig?

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
I'm mostly a game enthusiast and I usually build a new system every couple of years. I'm going to list what I have in my current system, Please lmk if you think it's still good enough for any games out there or is it time to upgrade. Many thanks.

i7-8700K @3.70
Noctua NH-D15 Cooler
Asus ROG Maximus X Hero
32Gb G.Skill Trident Z RGB
(2) WD Black HD 2TB
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD
Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC2
EVGA GTX1060 6GB
Fractal Design Define R6
Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold
Sound Blaster X7
Windows 10
Asus ROG PG279Q

Solution
I don't see any reason to build a new system, or even upgrade this one for that matter. The 8700K performs nearly identical to the current top-end processors in games, especially at 1440p, where you will be limited by graphics hardware more than anything.

Short of moving up to a $1000+ graphics card that you could have bought for about the same price over a year ago, you won't see substantial performance gains. The RTX 20-series cards offer hardware acceleration for raytraced lighting effects in a handful of games, but they don't offer nearly enough RT cores to do it well, making the higher-end models only really suitable for 1080p rendering with RT enabled, and the more mid-range models are barely capable of even that. I suspect...
What games specifically? Do you have a budget? Do you need to have all the latest and greatest features (ray tracing)? The most I would do is get a 2080 ti if money was really burning a hole in my pocket. I personally just upgraded the system in my signature after 7-8 years on a 3570k build so I may have a different perspective than you.

I don't see any reason to build a new system, or even upgrade this one for that matter. The 8700K performs nearly identical to the current top-end processors in games, especially at 1440p, where you will be limited by graphics hardware more than anything.

Short of moving up to a $1000+ graphics card that you could have bought for about the same price over a year ago, you won't see substantial performance gains. The RTX 20-series cards offer hardware acceleration for raytraced lighting effects in a handful of games, but they don't offer nearly enough RT cores to do it well, making the higher-end models only really suitable for 1080p rendering with RT enabled, and the more mid-range models are barely capable of even that. I suspect next year's cards will handle raytracing a lot better, so I would wait until at least later next year for a graphics upgrade from what you have.

Solution