Question Is it time to upgrade my CPU?

Oct 3, 2019
I got my computer in April 2015. I'm wondering if it's time to upgrade my CPU? Here's my current setup. I use this computer for normal desktop work (Microsoft Office) plus gaming (I'm playing Final Fantasy XV right now). I recently upgraded my gpu and added more ram. I don't feel the need to play everything on Ultra, also I'm just playing in 1080P.

Processor: Intel Core i5 4590 3.30 GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS/GIGABYTE (Intel H81 Chipset) (MATX)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz (8x2)
Power Supply: 600W Corsair CX
GPU: MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 192-bit HDMI/DP 6GB GDRR6

WildCard999

Titan
I am, it doesn't stutter too bad. I just wasn't sure how long CPUs/motherboards hold up before they need an upgrade.
With any mid to higher end CPU you typically get around 4-5 years but might be able to go longer. For example I had a AMD Phenom X4 965 from 2009 to 2014 and gave the system to a friend when I upgraded. He had it until about 3 months ago and "upgraded" to the i5-4590 since I found a working one on a dead motherboard for free and got a replacement generic 1150 board for $60. While the 4590 is older it's still a big upgrade for him and may last a couple more years depending on his uses. Plays games like the Division 2 on the Medium preset at 60 FPS on a 1080P monitor when paired with 8gb of memory and a R9 290 4gb.

InvalidError

Titan
I am, it doesn't stutter too bad. I just wasn't sure how long CPUs/motherboards hold up before they need an upgrade.
Unless they fail first, they will "hold up" however long and much you are willing to compromise to make them hold up some more. I'm still mostly fine with my i5-3470, though there is a very high probability I will upgrade next year after the Ryzen 4000 series launches, either when the 3700X drops to $200 or a 4600 when 650-series motherboards become available.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
While I fully agree with the answers given to you, it certainly would never hurt to get a better-quality power supply in there as the old Corsair CXs with the green letters were rather mediocre. If you don't need to upgrade your CPU at the moment, replacing it with a good one certainly won't hurt.

Giannis_Mag

Reputable
May 24, 2017
As previous comments said, if you are ok with the performance, there is no need to upgrade.
BUT. Your cpu does bottleneck the 1660ti.Also ddr3 in almost 2020 is holding you back. You can have a Ryzen 5 2600, B450 and 16GB ddr4 3200mhz for less than 300bucks.

No telling when a motherboard will fail.
The most common reason I read about is a failure caused by the failure of a cheap psu.

What is the make/model of your motherboard?
If you are inclined to improve your cpu capability, most H81 motherboards will support a i7-4790K as an upgrade.
You can buy one on ebay for perhaps $175.
That would give you 4 added threads which some games like.
You would also increase your stock and turbo single thread performance.
I would also budget for a cooler better than the stock intel cooler.

More than that, you are looking at a new build with ryzen 3000 or intel 9th gen processors.
That will also require a new motherboard and ddr4 ram.

There really is no way to answer this because ultimately it comes down to YOU the user. You say you don't mind playing at lower settings and some stuttering so that's ok for you. For me I would find that not acceptable so for me I would upgrade. It all comes down to the person using the computer deciding when they aren't happy with the performance they are getting.