Question Is it time to upgrade my CPU?

It really depends on what you're hoping to accomplish with an upgrade. The most meaningful upgrade you can get performance wise is a 5800X3D with regards to gaming. You could add cores with either 5900X or 5950X if your workloads benefit from it, but gaming won't. I'd expect 10-25% improved performance increase from Zen 2 to Zen 3 in CPU limited circumstances, but if you're more GPU limited I'd expect below 5%. Some performance will also be left on the table due to 3200 memory vs 3600 so you may be looking at more cost to get ideal performance (DRAM is less important for X3D parts).

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
If you plan to keep the same GPU there's really no point, as your system is pretty well balanced as is. More CPU will just leave you GPU limited by the 6700XT, and if you look in to the CPU upgrade and decide it's not worth it but spend the money on a GPU instead... You'll just be CPU limited by the 3700X.

What isn't your current system doing, or what is it doing poorly enough to prompt the itch to upgrade? If it's low frames in Star Citizen, you'd have to upgrade both CPU and GPU. If it's more Photoshop being slow, depends on the workload which to focus on.

Figure out what kind of performance you want from Star Citizen. Then examine benchmarks of Star Citizen until you find out which AMD CPU can get you that performance. Then you will know what upgrade, if any, you require. It's never just 'time to upgrade'. You upgrade for a purpose. If you get X frames per second now, but need Y frames per second, you upgrade only if your upgrade gets you Y frames per second.

Apr 2, 2024
I am thinking that maybe the time is right to upgrade my CPU from R7-3700X to ??
Below is the current system config.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/vwcrusher/saved/p42GGX

Use includes some gaming (mostly RPGs, like star citizen and perhaps the new MechWarrior 5), Adobe Lightroom Classic and general use (email, web surfing, youtube).

What do you guys think? Thanks.
The best available option is a 7950X3D. *runs away*

Reactions: jnjnilson6