[SOLVED] is it time to upgrade my RX580 or should i wait?

avivzamir

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
hello,
i got my sapphire RX 580 8GB 2.5 years ago, and wondering if it's time to upgrade to a 5700 or even 5700XT. my build has a 2700X cpu and gigabyte 470X motherboard with 16GB RAM. my monitor is a 27 inch 1440P with 144HZ , and my pc is also connect to the a 4K tv for movies.
i dont play too much anymore, but when i do its RPG like Assassin's Creed Odyssey, or DMC 5.
i do use my PC for some photoshop and illustrator, and sometimes premiere too.
at the moment the only times i feel like theres a problem as when watching a 4k movie from the pc on the TV , but not even sure if thats becuse of the GPU.

will i even feel the difftent if i upgrade at the moment ?
should i wait another year for price drops or more card int he market that could give me a longer headroom?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
IMO, the RX 580 is too weak for 1440p gaming, but some people are willing to turn down a lot of settings to MAKE it work well enough. So it just depends on you. Overall, aside from that, I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade right now. The rest of the build looks very good. Try updating your motherboard BIOS and check for newer drivers for LAN and Audio from the motherboard product page. Also check for the latest AMD chipset drivers for X470 from the AMD website. Those will be more up to date than on the motherboard page.
AC: Odyssey is extremely demanding. At 1440p, you likely need to reduce settings significantly to maintain high enough frame rates to make having that high refresh monitor worth having.

4k video problems should have little to do with the graphics cards performance unless there is a problem with drivers, because even integrated graphics are more than capable enough for that.

If you feel like the actual gaming is ok as is, and only the 4k video is the issue, then the problem is most probably not related to your graphics card unless there is a problem with it or your power supply, or some other hardware issue.

What are your FULL system specs including the EXACT power supply model number? How old is the power supply?

Are all your video codecs up to date?

avivzamir

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
AC: Odyssey is extremely demanding. At 1440p, you likely need to reduce settings significantly to maintain high enough frame rates to make having that high refresh monitor worth having.

4k video problems should have little to do with the graphics cards performance unless there is a problem with drivers, because even integrated graphics are more than capable enough for that.

If you feel like the actual gaming is ok as is, and only the 4k video is the issue, then the problem is most probably not related to your graphics card unless there is a problem with it or your power supply, or some other hardware issue.

What are your FULL system specs including the EXACT power supply model number? How old is the power supply?

Are all your video codecs up to date?
hey ,

dont think its a psu problem but here is the full spec. the PC is less then 2 years old, the GPU is the only part i kept from my old one because i bought it just 6 moths before buying this build:

AMD RYZEN7 2700X
X470-AORUS-GAMING-7
3200C16D-16GTZR -G-Skill
Corsair 650W RMx Series RM650x 80PLUS Gold
WD BLACK M.2 256GB
TRANSCEND TS1TSSD370S

i did say i dont think the problem is with the GPU on the 4K watching.

as for the gaming and general use, you think it's a worthy upgrade? or i can keep going with the 580 for a while longer?

Last edited:
The 5700/5700XT/RTX2060/RTX2060 Super are good cards for a 1440p 144Hz monitor. That's where I've got my target set when I upgrade. (I have an RX480 + 1440p 144Hz monitor also).

I will say that I'm a bit hesitant to upgrade this generation though. AMDs 2020 cards a purported to have ray tracing, and Nvidias Ampere 7nm cards are rumored to release in 1H 2020 with better ray tracing hardware. We seem to be at an awkward transitional generation currently.

Last edited:
IMO, the RX 580 is too weak for 1440p gaming, but some people are willing to turn down a lot of settings to MAKE it work well enough. So it just depends on you. Overall, aside from that, I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade right now. The rest of the build looks very good. Try updating your motherboard BIOS and check for newer drivers for LAN and Audio from the motherboard product page. Also check for the latest AMD chipset drivers for X470 from the AMD website. Those will be more up to date than on the motherboard page.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS