[SOLVED] Is it true Bronze units sometimes use lesser quality parts?

Zealex

Commendable
Jul 27, 2017
PSU prices are so high right now, idk why but they are. Paid 60 bucks for my 650w g2 and now comparable models are 120ish..

I am considering a few bronze models for a build I am gonna make, but have always been told to get a quality unit since the PSU (imo) is the most important component. Also bronze uses more electric, which I should probably factor in as well?

Microcenter has a 600 BQ for 74...but i've heard BQ line aint so great. They also have the G+ for 109.99, which I think is a lot better?

Theres also Seasonic focus which is like...130 rn. I know Seasonic makes a quality unit.

Build will have a 7700k,2x8gbram,1660gt,1xssd and possibly a few fans upgrades and another ssd or hdd or two. I imagine 550w would work as well but feel 650w would be more ideal for reaching that ideal state of 40-60% usage?

Thanks

Solution
PSU prices are so high right now, idk why but they are. Paid 60 bucks for my 650w g2 and now comparable models are 120ish..

You haven't been watching the news. ;-) Current administration has put a 25% tariff on products, like computer PSUs, that are made in China.

There's a few exceptions. CWT has a factory in Vietnam that makes some Corsair and Thermaltake units and there's an HEC factory in Taiwan that makes some Corsair and EVGA units. But these PSUs tend to be low end as the factories are relatively new and lack the higher end testing equipment to ensure better quality products (i.e. Chroma 8000's, enough burn in racks to burn in for 24 hours, etc.).

Also, the labor is higher in Vietnam and Taiwan and the supply...
here u can list through PSU units to find that out

as for psu quality, u dont need any top tier psu for your build, since u have just 1 mid range gpu, tier B or better should suffice
500~600watt unit should work

I am considering a few bronze models for a build I am gonna make, but have always been told to get a quality unit since the PSU (imo) is the most important component. Also bronze uses more electric, which I should probably factor in as well?

Microcenter has a 600 BQ for 74...but i've heard BQ line aint so great. They also have the G+ for 109.99, which I think is a lot better?

Theres also Seasonic focus which is like...130 rn. I know Seasonic makes a quality unit.

Build will have a 7700k,2x8gbram,1660gt,1xssd and possibly a few fans upgrades and another ssd or hdd or two. I imagine 550w would work as well but feel 650w would be more ideal for reaching that ideal state of 40-60% usage?

Thanks

Corsair CX(2017) models are affordable and solid in terms of quality... For your build a CX550 will be plenty.

That's not always true... sometimes gold certified units can be quite mediocre too.

Thanks

"Bronze" is simpy a measure of efficiency.

Not a gauge of quality.

There's a lot of good "Bronze" rated PSUs out there, but there's also an equal amount of garbage "Bronze" PSUs out there too.

You haven't been watching the news. ;-) Current administration has put a 25% tariff on products, like computer PSUs, that are made in China.

There's a few exceptions. CWT has a factory in Vietnam that makes some Corsair and Thermaltake units and there's an HEC factory in Taiwan that makes some Corsair and EVGA units. But these PSUs tend to be low end as the factories are relatively new and lack the higher end testing equipment to ensure better quality products (i.e. Chroma 8000's, enough burn in racks to burn in for 24 hours, etc.).

Also, the labor is higher in Vietnam and Taiwan and the supply chain is not as robust (meaning many parts still need to be shipped from China to Vietnam and Taiwan adding freight costs), so you're paying about 15% more for a Vietnam made or Taiwan made product. Still better than a 25% tariff, but still not like it was a year ago when there was no tariff. :(

Solution