Is it true that all versions of WIN10 will be OEM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beans_93

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2013
I have been looking everywhere from amazon to scan and I am being told depending on who I speak to that they either don't know or that there is only OEM versions. I also rang microsoft sales support to check this and after telling them I wanted to buy a non OEM version I was recommended to buy 8.1 and upgrade, which would be OEM.

Anyone know if there is a non OEM version and where I might be able to purchase one?

Solution
It's worth noting the OEM licenses were available to OEMs before the retail edition is for sale so OEMs can sell windows 10 PCs on day one.
What's actually happening is likely only OEM licenses are available for sale right now, and the retail will come out later.

gilbadon

Distinguished
This is interesting. My guess is that they just do not have the retail version released yet and that they do no want to release any details about it. I have a friend that works at Microsoft and there are very specific things they can and cannot talk about with risk of being sued into the stone age.
That being said, it would seem very odd to only have OEM licences but at the same time we are moving away from a physical format. It just seems a little ahead of times to make an OS completely digitally available without physical retail options.

It's worth noting the OEM licenses were available to OEMs before the retail edition is for sale so OEMs can sell windows 10 PCs on day one.
What's actually happening is likely only OEM licenses are available for sale right now, and the retail will come out later.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.