[SOLVED] Is it true that AMD r3 r5 r7 has some issues with motherboards?

Od86x

Reputable
Jan 5, 2020
Hi guys .. just wonder ..i herd that amd processors has issues with motherboards ..
Intel i5 i7 doesn't have that problem ..
But amd r3 r5 r7 has some issues ?
How bad it is?

Solution
It was about Bios update issues ..I read yesterday on some forum.. I am looking ..for that information ..and also I read somewhere that AMD has more blue screen "crash" issues .. random rebooting etc.

AMD has more BIOS updating issues because that's the tradeoff for keeping the same socket around longer. Intel changes so often that the motherboards are less likely to need BIOS updates (though there are exceptions, such as Ivy Bridge vs. Sandy Bridge and Haswell refresh).

As for "more blue screens," that should be taken as seriously as the data provided to back up the assertion. I'm assuming there wasn't any?

Od86x

Reputable
Jan 5, 2020
It was about Bios update issues ..I read yesterday on some forum.. I am looking ..for that information ..and also I read somewhere that AMD has more blue screen "crash" issues .. random rebooting etc.

I have updated the BIOS twice on my B450 Tomahawk Max and R7 3700x with no problem at all, very easy. My system never randomly reboots, not once and I have only ever had blue screen crashes when I was playing with overclocking my RAM. Once my RAM overclock was setup I have not had a blue screen since. My previous system was Intel, it was no more or less stable.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

AMD has more BIOS updating issues because that's the tradeoff for keeping the same socket around longer. Intel changes so often that the motherboards are less likely to need BIOS updates (though there are exceptions, such as Ivy Bridge vs. Sandy Bridge and Haswell refresh).

As for "more blue screens," that should be taken as seriously as the data provided to back up the assertion. I'm assuming there wasn't any?

Solution
My system runs great with a ryzen 5 3600 and an older asrock ab350 pro 4 board. Rarely reboots or anything you describe.

A lot of those types of issues I think happened probably at the beginning of ryzen, about 3-4 years ago. But those things seem like they’ve been worked out a good while back. Pretty soon they’ll probably go to a new socket and ddr5.

Od86x

Reputable
Jan 5, 2020
I have i7 4790k and Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H ,gtx 980 and 16g ram .. it was build back in 2014..
For all this years I had maybe like 3 times suddenly rebooting but don't know why .was that. still till today ..
for me it's awesome and reliable build ..

Od86x

Reputable
Jan 5, 2020
I want new build that will be reliable .. back in 2014 I was single ..now I married ...family, have to considering budget ... probably will reuse old PC case , SSD, Blu ray rom ..rest will have to sell..
Still thinking between r5 5600x or i7 10700k or i5 11500k

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I want new build that will be reliable .. back in 2014 I was single ..now I married ...family, have to considering budget ... probably will reuse old PC case , SSD, Blu ray rom ..rest will have to sell..
Still thinking between r5 5600x or i7 10700k or i5 11500k

If you decide to go with AMD 5600X, it is recommended to pair with 3600 Mhz RAM. And I would recommend a B550 motherboard. X570 gives you like 2 more SATA ports (so 8) and Xfire/SLI support perhaps but that is dead. No one supports it outside of benchmarks like 3DMark. X570 not worth the extra price.
But yeah, I would have a hard time to choose between those 3 CPUs as well if I wasn't such an AMD fan ;P. I've never owned an Intel-system in 20 years of PCs.

Reactions: Od86x
I have had my R7-1700 and R7-3700X on 4 different motherboards... two different B350 boards, one B450 and one B550. The only real problem are the B350's as it appears mfr's didn't take Ryzen seriously at the launch. But even they are workable so long as you recognize their VRM's, in general, are not capable for 8 core and up CPU's of any generation when overclocking. The B450 and B550 boards have been solid as a rock across multiple BIOS updates.

I'm confident there is a tremendous amount of FUD generated on this because of people with limited understanding of computer hardware, and no understanding of anything but Intel, building and upgrading AM4 platforms and mucking it up. Instead of taking a step back, admitting their mistakes and doing what works with Ryzen they hit the internets to vent their spleen. So take 90% of the negative posts you read with a sack of salt.

Last edited:
Reactions: kurdtnz

Loadedaxe

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2016
I have not encountered any issues like blue screens, I did have an issue with a windows update, but that could be had on any system.

5600 or 10700, either are good, 10700k has 2 more cores but the 5600x edges it out in some games. Just make sure you get a decent B550 MB. If I were building with a budget I would get the 5600x, a good set of 3600mhz memory and call it a day.

Reactions: Howardohyea
D

Deleted member 14196

I’ve had zero problems with AMD processor’s for the last two decades at least

I take that back one of my CPUs died in my build machine but that was hardware failure and it was Used 24/7 for eight years. Not to mention all the many thousands of software builds it performed in it’s lifetime

Our shop is all AMD and has been for decades and we have not experienced any problems of that kind

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
If there's errors and BSODs I'd consider the operating system and subsequent software that's installed on the computer instead of "oh it's AMD/Intel's issue so I'm not using their CPUs again"

Both companies are great and have their strengths, you can't go wrong with either of them, just do your research and read reviews first.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Amd Ryzen systems do have more issues. Not due to hardware failure, and many times not even due to bios, firmware or even software. Most issues can be directly laid at the feet of the installer/user not setting up the system correctly in the first place. Ryzen are not as plug and play as an intel system, so are a little less forgiving.

Od86x

Reputable
Jan 5, 2020
If you decide to go with AMD 5600X, it is recommended to pair with 3600 Mhz RAM. And I would recommend a B550 motherboard. X570 gives you like 2 more SATA ports (so 8) and Xfire/SLI support perhaps but that is dead. No one supports it outside of benchmarks like 3DMark. X570 not worth the extra price.
But yeah, I would have a hard time to choose between those 3 CPUs as well if I wasn't such an AMD fan ;P. I've never owned an Intel-system in 20 years of PCs.
3600 Mhz recommended for R5 5600x .. but what if motherboard does not supporting 3600Mhz ..
For example Asus Rog Strix B550-A on their website has support list of CPU and Memory ..and it lists only 4xxx Mhz speed ?????

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Reactions: Od86x