[SOLVED] Is it true that MSI Afterburner doesn't officially support laptops?

Hemispheres

Commendable
Jul 2, 2021
I'm still trying to fix my issue with MSI afterburner not correctly displaying CPU/GPU/FPS info after installing an experimental windows update.

I found an MSI Afterburner support forum this morning and asked if they planned on fixing the issue, and a moderator replied completely ripping me a new one - calling me a "readme hater" and saying no they would not be fixing it because laptops are not supported.

Seems a bit harsh, but I'm at work and can't access the readme file. Does it really say laptops aren't supported? I can understand not wanting to overclock or mess with voltage on a laptop but simply fixing compatibility with Windows versions?

Solution
Hey there,

Well firstly, I would say the Moderator on that forum should try not to admonish someone who is simply asking a question. As for their answer, that's really odd. MSI OSD is simply an overlay and works with any GPU from any manufacturer AFAIK. Whilst you could argue that OC Scanner doesn't seem to work on laptops, everything else in Afterburner should work just fine. It's still just reporting on a GPU.

With that said, what 'experimental' update did you install? Windows 10 or 11?

Have you tried to un-install/re-install MSI? Are your GPU drivers up to date? System drivers too?
Hey there,

Well firstly, I would say the Moderator on that forum should try not to admonish someone who is simply asking a question. As for their answer, that's really odd. MSI OSD is simply an overlay and works with any GPU from any manufacturer AFAIK. Whilst you could argue that OC Scanner doesn't seem to work on laptops, everything else in Afterburner should work just fine. It's still just reporting on a GPU.

With that said, what 'experimental' update did you install? Windows 10 or 11?

Have you tried to un-install/re-install MSI? Are your GPU drivers up to date? System drivers too?

Solution

Hemispheres

Commendable
Jul 2, 2021
I've tried just about everything. Uninstalling MSI Afterburner, Installing the newest version, un-installing the newest windows update I had installed - No it wasn't windows 11, it was just an update that explicitly stated it hadn't been put through the full battery of tests upon release. I've also tried rolling back graphics drivers thinking that was the problem but no improvement. There's some kind of incompatibility with the update I installed and the way MSI Afterburner detects all the hardware on my laptop.

The only way I got MSI to recognize my GPU was to uncheck the "enable low level I/O driver" box, but even then not all my checked OSD's are showing up on screen. I've pretty much given up on uploading gaming videos to my youtube channel as I have no way to show GPU/CPU Useage clearly and my FPS don't display anymore.

TRENDING THREADS