[SOLVED] Is it useless to overclock r7 3700x?

Feb 22, 2020
I stumbled upon a funny website claiming that it's useless to enable PBO or manually overclock an r7 3700x and I was like What The [language]?

Seriously why do these websites even exist, just wanted to share it with you guys.

here's that damn link
Do share your opinion on this one!

Solution
If I use r7 3700x out of the box without a single modification or tweak how would It perform then?

It will perform great, is a freaking powerfull CPU. Just to let you know the R5 3600 from my signature is runing only at its base Frecuency. I have disable AutoOC. PBO and PB, because after testing manye games with a 60Hz monitor there was no FPS diference. That way I save a bit of power and the fan runs slower, hence less noise. And Im talking about demanding games like SOTR, BF5, etc on a 1440p monitor@60Hz.

So your R7 3700X should do very, very, very good.

kanewolf

Titan
MODERATOR NOTE: Watch the language
I stumbled upon a funny website claiming that it's useless to enable PBO or manually overclock an r7 3700x and I was like WTF?

Seriously why do these websites even exist, just wanted to share it with you guys.

here's that damn link

Do share your opinion on this one!
That specific article did not use the extreme cooling that some use. It looked like a simple 120mm AIO. In that case overclocking is not advised. The Ryzen CPUs do run close to their thermal limits without hardcore cooling.

Reactions: Makaveli
Feb 22, 2020
That specific article did not use the extreme cooling that some use. It looked like a simple 120mm AIO. In that case overclocking is not advised. The Ryzen CPUs do run close to their thermal limits without hardcore cooling.

How real could be that benchmark, It's kinda hard for me to believe that performance difference is very small while being overclocked with an r7 3700x?

Feb 22, 2020
They are also running 1440p, 144hz monitor with just a 1660ti card. They could be limited by GPU. I am not a gamer, so I can't comment too much on the legitimacy of the benchmark.

No, See clearly though they have used 1440p Monitor but they ran every game at 1080p Lowest settings and after all It's obvious from the benchmarks itself, Is it even possible for a 1660Ti to push 200+ Frames in SOTR at 1440p.

Like Makaveli wrote already, if you wana get the last tiny bit of performance just leave PB and PBO enable and enjoy. Theres no much point in overcloking a zen 2 CPU unless you are using liquid nitrogen and trying to break some kind of world record (or your own).

Just to be clear PB or PB2 is not the same as PBO, PB and PB2 are like the usual Intel Turbo Boost technology.

Long story short:
Zen 2 cpus (R7 3700X) are designed from factory to push its boost (single and all core) frecuency as high as it can (as long as it stay between the factory MAX settings -> PB+PBO), as long as 1. Theres enough thermal room (that means you your cooler solution will impact how high it can boost), 2. Theres enough stable power delivered (this means you need a motherboard with a decent VRM configuration and a power-enough stable PSU, so the Ryzen 3xxx can get the "extra" juice it needs to increase its frecuency and stay up there).

PB"O" (Override) is "like" Intel MCE in the way that it allows your CPU to stay "boosting" for a longer time.

Beyond those two theres the AutoOC option. It will allow the CPU to go above the factory boost frecuency settings. But then again it will all depend on the power delivering and the thermal solution.

Keep in mind, that PBO or PBO+AutoOC will allow the CPU to downclock on idle, thats why really theres no much point of OC, not considering most chips out there are already very,. very close to thier limits.

If you wana read more about this, here an article:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc

Cheers.

PD read the article to know what warranty covers, and what not.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020
Like Makaveli wrote already, if you wana get the last tiny bit of performance just leave PB and PBO enable and enjoy. Theres no much point in overcloking a zen 2 CPU unless you are using liquid nitrogen and trying to break some kind of world record (or your own).

Just to be clear PB or PB2 is not the same as PBO, PB and PB2 are like the usual Intel Turbo Boost technology.

Long story short:
Zen 2 cpus (R7 3700X) are designed from factory to push its boost (single and all core) frecuency as high as it can (as long as it stay between the factory MAX settings -> PB+PBO), as long as 1. Theres enough thermal room (that means you your cooler solution will impact how high it can boost), 2. Theres enough stable power delivered (this means you need a motherboard with a decent VRM configuration and a power-enough stable PSU, so the Ryzen 3xxx can get the "extra" juice it needs to increase its frecuency and stay up there).

PB"O" (Override) is "like" Intel MCE in the way that it allows your CPU to stay "boosting" for a longer time.

Beyond those too theres the AutoOC option, that one will actually allows the CPU to go above the factory boost frecuency settings. But then again it will all depend on the power delivering and the thermal solution.

Keep in mind, that PBO or PBO+AutoOC will allow the CPU to downclock on idle, thats why really theres no much point of OC, not considering most chips out there are already very,. very close to thier limits.

If you wana read more about this, here an article:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc

Cheers.

PD read the article to know what warranty covers, and what not.

If I use r7 3700x out of the box without a single modification or tweak how would It perform then?

Feb 22, 2020
Just use PBO there is no point of Manual overclocking on Ryzen 3000 you will lose single core performance and increase power consumption for minimal gain in multi core performance.

And if you are using stock cooling its a double NO.
Can I do that PBO Thing on a mobo with not so great VRM like the Gigabyte Aorus B450 One?

It will perform great, is a freaking powerfull CPU. Just to let you know the R5 3600 from my signature is runing only at its base Frecuency. I have disable AutoOC. PBO and PB, because after testing manye games with a 60Hz monitor there was no FPS diference. That way I save a bit of power and the fan runs slower, hence less noise. And Im talking about demanding games like SOTR, BF5, etc on a 1440p monitor@60Hz.

So your R7 3700X should do very, very, very good.

Last edited:
Solution