[SOLVED] Is it worrh watercooling my cpu

Feb 2, 2020
I have a i7-7700 and i recently bought a maximus ix extreme motherboard for only 150. It comes with a waterblock. I wanted to custom watercool my pc for overclocking.... bur i just found out that the i7-7700 cant overclock haha. I can turboo boost it to 4.2 tho . So i dont know if its worth buying a waterpump and the reservoir and all that stuff (i allready have a monoblock for cpu). Is it worth buying all the stuff? Or is a AIO liquid cooler good too? I allready have the monoblock so idk what to do. Please help haha

My specs are gtx 1080
I7-7700
16 gb ddr4 3200
Z270 maximus ix extreme

Solution
I have a i7-7700 and i recently bought a maximus ix extreme motherboard for only 150. It comes with a waterblock. I wanted to custom watercool my pc for overclocking.... bur i just found out that the i7-7700 cant overclock haha. I can turboo boost it to 4.2 tho . So i dont know if its worth buying a waterpump and the reservoir and all that stuff (i allready have a monoblock for cpu). Is it worth buying all the stuff? Or is a AIO liquid cooler good too? I allready have the monoblock so idk what to do. Please help haha

My specs are gtx 1080
I7-7700
16 gb ddr4 3200
Z270 maximus ix extreme

Hi @Dimi3

"Worth" is entirely subjective to the user. If you want to watercool it, by all means do it. Does it need to be watercooled...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

My specs are gtx 1080
I7-7700
16 gb ddr4 3200
Z270 maximus ix extreme

Hi @Dimi3

"Worth" is entirely subjective to the user. If you want to watercool it, by all means do it. Does it need to be watercooled? Nope. :) AIO can be/are good but just like with anything else, the one you get depends entirely on your situation and its intended use.

There are a ton of Pro's & Con's to using an AIO or WC. My advice would be to take the opinions of those here with a grain of salt and then do research on your own. Then compare them vs the cost vs your PC's visibility vs what YOU want.

What type of cooler do you have now? Stock HS&F?

Solution
Feb 2, 2020
Hi @Dimi3

"Worth" is entirely subjective to the user. If you want to watercool it, by all means do it. Does it need to be watercooled? Nope. :) AIO can be/are good but just like with anything else, the one you get depends entirely on your situation and its intended use.

There are a ton of Pro's & Con's to using an AIO or WC. My advice would be to take the opinions of those here with a grain of salt and then do research on your own. Then compare them vs the cost vs your PC's visibility vs what YOU want.

What type of cooler do you have now? Stock HS&F?
Hey thanks for the response.
I have a stockcooler rn

Dec 30, 2019
water cooling can take a lot of effort and even AIOs' pumps can break after years of usage. If you want to do a custom water cooled PC, by all means do it although it can be a lot of effort and expensive. A good air cooler would work good for you however, if you want something more aesthetically pleasing you might want an AIO.

Reactions: Mrgr74

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
Is it worth it from a performance standpoint? No it is not, but custom watercooling rarely is. I still recently build myself a loop, because I wanted to have a watercooled pc since I was 14.
In the end you can do it, but see it as a fun project. If you want to do it you will need tubing, a radiator, fans, fittings, pump and reservoir.
Even if you dont get the most expensive stuff it will cost you arround 300 $ for only cpu cooling.