Question Is it Worth Adding Top Fans to My Thermaltake V200 TG RGB Case?

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Would it be worthwhile to add top fans to my Thermaltake V200 TG RGB case? I'm assuming i'd need matching Thermaltake Fans if i do this, as not sure if mixing different fan brands a good idea or not.

As can't afford newer case as yet with better ventilation for the front fans

Windows 11 Pro Power plan set for Balanced
Clean Install not too long ago
Temps rarely over 85C while running games, unless room temp is hotter

System is Air cooled with Arctic Freezer 7X cooler
No ARGB connections on motherboard, or i'd swap out the 3 Front fans, Rear Exhaust to all Matching Arctic Fans

Last edited:
Would it be worthwhile to add top fans to my Thermaltake V200 TG RGB case?
you don't mention existing temperature ranges for CPU, GPU, etc.
so no one can really tell you how "worthwhile" it may be.
I'm assuming i'd need matching Thermaltake Fans
wrong.
any fans with the same performance would be indiscernible from the actual Thermaltake branded fans.
while any better performing fans, regardless of brand, would be an improvement.
not sure if mixing different fan brands a good idea or not.
brand makes no difference.
it is the quality & performance; sound dB & the ability to move air, that makes all of the difference.

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Well Temps for GPU only seen up to 75C during Battlefield 2042 Game, and CPU didn't see over 85C at all

M.2 NvMe SSD is around 50c-65C at times, though Samsung Magician says its normal, and i typically game hard for maybe or two hours and then do something else a while.

The RGB of the Front fans controlled via I/O button on front of case, as No ARGB header on motherboard at all, so if i was someday to switch those out, i guess i'd have to get the same ones if i could to work with the controller to continue using the front I/O button

Rear exhaust i thought about switching out to Scythe 120MM Fan, but so far left that in the box, as someone told me in the past the fans have to be matching to have good performance, they might've been wrong, no idea on that part lol

Original plan if shop had Mugen 5 Rev C in black i was gonna get that installed to replace LGA 1200 then use the extra fan i bought from same company as new Rear Exhaust fan as well.

Instead settled on Arctic Freezer 7x, as i had trouble installing Be Quiet Pure Rock 2 Black Editon myself on my Intel 10700 in May of 2022, but temps are much better than when i was running stock LGA 1200 Cooler, when i was hitting 95c-99c at times

someone told me in the past the fans have to be matching to have good performance
whoever stated that has no clue what they are talking about.
as long as you are pulling in adequate cool air and exhausting adequate warmed air the make & models matching has nothing to do with it.

best case scenario;
you want the quietest fans possible that can still move large amounts of air.

whether the make & model of the fans used matches has nothing at all to do with this in any way.
Temps for GPU only seen up to 75C during Battlefield 2042 Game, and CPU didn't see over 85C
i always aim for under 70°C, as close to 60°C as possible, for both CPU & GPU max temps.
while what you're seeing may not necessarily be dangerous to the hardware, i would be aiming for lower.

if you currently have 3x front intakes, 1x rear exhaust;
i would be looking at probably 1 more top exhaust towards the rear of the case.
but that's considering that the current fans can actually move enough air.
if they are lower quality models you may want to upgrade all of those.
RGB of the Front fans controlled via I/O button on front of case
if you are wanting to add more LED fans that can be controlled via the front I/O,
check the LED hub and see what type of connections it uses and how many open headers it has.

Would it be worthwhile to add top fans to my Thermaltake V200 TG RGB case?
Temps rarely over 85C while running games, unless room temp is hotter
System is Air cooled with Arctic Freezer 7X cooler
Your system seems to be starved for front intake.
Try taking off acrylic front panel and see difference in temperatures.

What is your room temperature?

Also your cpu cooler is not very good.
2 heatpipes with 10cm fan - it's even worse than CM Hyper 212 evo or Deepcool Gammaxx 400.

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Well the front panel I/O cables are in that panel, so don't think can take it off, as front usb, power button, RGB Button.

Room Temp ranges from 50F to 75f currently, not too hot at the moment

CPU Cooler was only air cooler local shop had in stock in May 2022, as noobie me didn't do well installing Be Quiet Pure Rock 2 myself, eventually i'll get it to a better place to probably have it upgraded again, or find a place locally that can properly install the Be Quiet Pure Rock 2.

My Old CPU Cooler was LGA 1200 Stock one, Shop put on when they installed the components in June 2020, managed with that all of Summer 2020 and 2021, then finally in 2022, i got brave enough to attempt doing it, and failed miserably, so i was like before i damage system--get to shop and take whatever air cooler they have. As forgot to take along the Be Quiet one, and unforuately my Family member ride wasn't gonna go back to get it

Maybe someday i'll get family to get me out to a Micro Center and have them do the CPU Cooler upgrade one more time and case as well to a better cooling one

Or When i do a Platform upgrade--maybe have Micro Center build it this time with proper air cooler, airflow oriented case--like Corasir 4000D Airflow. But that might be a while in that regard, for now will just make due with what have all i can do

If i was good with Hardware--i'd so just grab me a better VRM cooling motherboard--Full ATX, new Case, and CPU cooler in massive 2023 refresh of system, but since i'm not, for now will make due best i can with current setup...I imagine a full atx board hardware transfer to a newer case be easier than doing a case transfer with Micro ATX board--back in 2009 had a Full ATX board, and successfully did a case transfer then, but i didn't have the interruptions with RL i do these days

Last edited: