[SOLVED] Is it worth building a gaming PC on a GTX 780?

McLovinHawaii

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2014
I have a spare GTX 780 and was wondering if it is still worth buying some older parts to make a gaming rig, or is the card more or less obsolete at this point?

Solution
It's somewhere around an AMD RX 570 or nVidia GeForce 1650 performance wise. It should still work for modern games. Just don't expect spectacular performance.

As for the rest of the system. I wouldn't worry too much about that. Build however high performance system you want. It's not as though it is a static component. You can always upgrade the card later. So, I'd make the rest as fast as you can afford. Pay attention to price performance of a used CPU and motherboard. Those parts are frequently overpriced if you are getting DIY parts and new might make more sense. The best prices/performance in used is usually getting some Dell/HP workstation. Then getting a better PSU, GPU and an SSD.
It's somewhere around an AMD RX 570 or nVidia GeForce 1650 performance wise. It should still work for modern games. Just don't expect spectacular performance.

As for the rest of the system. I wouldn't worry too much about that. Build however high performance system you want. It's not as though it is a static component. You can always upgrade the card later. So, I'd make the rest as fast as you can afford. Pay attention to price performance of a used CPU and motherboard. Those parts are frequently overpriced if you are getting DIY parts and new might make more sense. The best prices/performance in used is usually getting some Dell/HP workstation. Then getting a better PSU, GPU and an SSD.

Solution

McLovinHawaii

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2014
I guess that seems fine for esport titles like Fortnite and CSGO. It would be a first pc for my nephew who's 8 so I guess that'll do. Would it make sense to pair it with a i5 7500, i7 4770 or something in that range?