Is it worth building a new pc or should I just upgrade my current pc?

Jagged teeth

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
my current pc is about 5 years old and its specs are
Intel i2500-k
Radeon hd 5650
4gb ram ddr3
Gigabyte z68 motherboard
500w psu
Windows 7 64bit
I got this computer when I was about 13 and back then for the games. I was playing it was more then enough but lately as I've gotten older the type of games I play have become increasingly more demanding and now it fails to meet the minimum requirements of most new games and I have realised its time for an upgrade. it has also developed a problem with either its power supply or its graphics card as the display frequently doesn't turn but the rest of the computer will still work for example. if I'm using the computer and then the display freezes if I leave it on a download will be finished next time I get it to work there it also frequently freezes and then blue screens about once a week I want to be able to play games like (witcher 3,arm dying light and far cry 4) at high settings with playable frame rates above forty and was wondering if this was achieving through upgrading or if I would be better off using the money I have about 1700 aud able to spend about two grand if necessary . To build a new pc however I would prefer to save money by upgrading do you have any recommendations or what to upgrade and what to upgrade it too
If I were to build a new pc this would more then likely be my build http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/DTjNmG If your recommendation is to build Are there any changes I should make so I get better performance for money?

Solution
My suggestion:
1. Go ahead and buy your GTX970 card and a GTX970 card. Install them in your current pc.
If all performs well, and it fixes your display problem, you are done.

Consider the possibility that it is your monitor that is having the problem in turning off.

2. If you then determine that you need more cpu horsepower, and a budget for a 4690K, I suggest looking at the Skylake I5-6600K and a Z170 motherboard.

3. On your proposed build, you will want an aftermarket cpu cooler, a simple tower type with a 120mm fan will do it.
4. Vengeance is a brand, you pay dearly for the fancy heat spreaders. They are useless and can impact a cpu cooler. Buy a low profile kit.
If you go Skylake, you will need DDR4 which is a bit more...
Zero reason to build a new one when the 2500k is still comparable to any new Intel CPU for gaming. Get 4gb of RAM, a QUALITY 600w PSU and a GTX 970 at the very least, if you really want to go nuts, get a 980ti. No reason to upgrade that CPU.

Lag

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
I disagree. The 2500k still has kick in it when heavily overclocked. But you would however benefit from a new GPU and more RAM (another 4gb should do it for gaming). I don't know what brand your PSU is, but I would perhaps change that as well since it's starting to get a bit old. And then you could upgrade cpu and mobo if need be.

Here are a few benchmarks where they compare the gaming performance of an OCed 2500k vs the 4670k (which has almost identical specs when compared to the 4690k (100mhz less on cores and runs a little hotter).

If you can sort out the bluescreen problem all you need is a new GPU, 4GB ram, and possibly a new PSU. Which PSU are you currently using?
This.

Your 2500K before OC'ing is roughly at the level of an i5-4460 (or FX-63xx). A new video card, SSD and more RAMs, with a fresh install of Windows, will work wonders for your machine and save you $700AUS

TheCheapGamer

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013
Can I just add that Skylake will soon be launching, so if you do want to build a completely new PC, maybe wait for those CPU's to come out. They offer slightly better performance and at a good price as we have seen so far.

This is what i would get:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($65.00 @ CPL Online)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($75.00 @ Centre Com)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($479.00 @ Centre Com)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($102.00 @ CPL Online)
Total: $721.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-12 01:02 AEST+1000

If you already have an aftermarket cooler, what is it? Also what model is your current ram and is it 1 or 2 sticks? What model PSU do you currently have? Might not need a new one.

You should overclock your CPU to about 4.5Ghz once you have a decent CPU cooler installed.

Lag

Distinguished
May 30, 2010

I would switch out that video card with this one: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx970gaming4g

The windforce edition posted in the comment above above costs about 20 bucks less than a Reference msi gtx 980.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx9804gd5ocv1

My suggestion:
1. Go ahead and buy your GTX970 card and a GTX970 card. Install them in your current pc.
If all performs well, and it fixes your display problem, you are done.

Consider the possibility that it is your monitor that is having the problem in turning off.

2. If you then determine that you need more cpu horsepower, and a budget for a 4690K, I suggest looking at the Skylake I5-6600K and a Z170 motherboard.

3. On your proposed build, you will want an aftermarket cpu cooler, a simple tower type with a 120mm fan will do it.
4. Vengeance is a brand, you pay dearly for the fancy heat spreaders. They are useless and can impact a cpu cooler. Buy a low profile kit.
If you go Skylake, you will need DDR4 which is a bit more expensive.

5. 120gb ssd can fill up quickly.
I suggest using a 240gb ssd for the "C" drive. Omit the hard drive until you need the room.
Use your old hard drive for bulk storage.

Solution

You are looking at US dollars... my post is in AUS, where the OP is from.

Lag

Distinguished
May 30, 2010

Sorry, seems I misread the OP's post. hmm, the Windforce edition is actually cheaper than the Twin Frozr in Australia.

TheCheapGamer

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013

I agree with this all, just a note, the Skylake CPUs can work with DDR3 RAM, so you can save some money there.

http://wccftech.com/skylake-dual-imc/

Jagged teeth

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015

I'm not sure of the exact model but I know it's antec and I'm presuming as the pc was built on a budget by a family friend it's one of their cheaper ones