[SOLVED] Is it worth building top of the line pc that handles 8k?

mikejones15420

Reputable
Jul 14, 2018
Always wanted to build a super gaming pc and now im finally in the position to go all out but with everything thats going on im just wondering is it worth building this year? Feel like I maybe be missing something but idk thats why I'm here was kinda messing around the other night

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MBhs9G

Solution
I'm all ears you guys all hate the case but what would you recommend? I like the front panel I guess really is all im stoked over about it but please tell me what else is out there I literally just jumped back into this after 10 years of not even thinking about pc stuff and ive never actually able to build one i wanted to go to career center for computers mom wouldn't let me cause i woke up late and would miss bus and no way to get to the school so I dropped out and that was the last of that journey

Nobody hates that case, it's just the fact it's so ridicolously overpriced and actual cooling wise it isn't anything special at all, just merely ok.
Its a $300 case, you overpaid immensely for it.

PCPartPicker Part List...
Hardly any games support SLI. So you are looking at a single 2080ti performance in most titles, if they even run properly with SLI enabled. You aren't going to be able to run new games at 8k high detail.

Unless next-gen triples current performance you still aren't going to run new games at 8k high detail.

Reactions: mikejones15420

mikejones15420

Reputable
Jul 14, 2018
"a super gaming pc"

SLI - No
Multiple top end NVMe drives - No
$900 for a PSU? - No
etc

We could go through and select the most expensive part in each category. But why?
You could cut that price in half, and see zero perf difference.

I'm trying to run 8k 60fps smooth its been a long time coming and I'm ready to splurge i used to play with computer a little bit im not to keen on everything just want a killer build maybe run a couple monitors

USAFRet

Titan
Open to recommendations 🙄
Start here:

SteelStruck

Prominent
Jul 31, 2020
This is honestly a build only a madperson would build (no offense) For 10,000 dollars buy a car for 7000 and spend the rest on an awesome gaming pc. But really wait for the gtx 3090 it's expected to be 1,400 dollars so If you have this kind of budget buying one of those should be no problem for you. And for goodness sake don't spend 700$ on a motherboard and 900$ on a power supply, just don't.

mikejones15420

Reputable
Jul 14, 2018
This is honestly a build only a madperson would build (no offense) For 10,000 dollars buy a car for 7000 and spend the rest on an awesome gaming pc. But really wait for the gtx 3090 it's expected to be 1,400 dollars so If you have this kind of budget buying one of those should be no problem for you. And for goodness sake don't spend 700$ on a motherboard and 900$ on a power supply, just don't.
Haha i didn't know if those were the real prices on some of that stuff i mean it's been 10 years since I even last looked at this kinda stuff

Haha i didn't know if those were the real prices on some of that stuff i mean it's been 10 years since I even last looked at this kinda stuff

64GB of RAM is around 200-300 in the 2x32GB or 4x16GB. Not 2800 dollars. That's crazy. ;p

A good PSU around 150 to ~200.

Motherboard you don't need a 700 dollars one.

The SSD NVME. The 2TB at 500 dollars is a waste. You can replace all of this for 2 1TB 970 evo plus + 1TB SATA SSD for the same price or less and have a 2TB HDD with it.

If you really like that case I won't say anything but 500 dollars it's pretty high for a case.

Don't buy 2 2080TI. Buy a cheap GPU until the new one comes out and go for 1 3090.

With your budget what I would buy is this. You pop in a 3090 when it comes out and you buy a new Ryzen 4000 series CPU later if you want.

If you want Intel just buy the 10900K with a good VRM board and get 3200MHz RAM.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor ($709.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X73 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER ATX AM4 Motherboard ($351.51 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($189.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($189.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case ($139.99 @ Adorama)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($144.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $2251.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-25 21:39 EDT-0400

mikejones15420

Reputable
Jul 14, 2018
64GB of RAM is around 200-300 in the 2x32GB or 4x16GB. Not 2800 dollars. That's crazy. ;p

A good PSU around 150 to ~200.

Motherboard you don't need a 700 dollars one.

The SSD NVME. The 2TB at 500 dollars is a waste. You can replace all of this for 2 1TB 970 evo plus + 1TB SATA SSD for the same price or less and have a 2TB HDD with it.

If you really like that case I won't say anything but 500 dollars it's pretty high for a case.

Don't buy 2 2080TI. Buy a cheap GPU until the new one comes out and go for 1 3090.
Just something I threw together by googling specifically the best parts for gaming pc was going to go through it more before I made a move wasnt sure what power supply to get tbh I just kinda picked one that looked nice just as a quick build and I'd figure with a better motherboard you get better components and parts im looking to just beast out and be done with it for a while the drives were one for the OS and apps and another for games and one for backup the case just looked like it had decent airflow figured this puppy was gonna get hot and I didn't know of the new graphics card until @taeioum said

mikejones15420

Reputable
Jul 14, 2018
With your budget what I would buy is this. You pop in a 3090 when it comes out and you buy a new Ryzen 4000 series CPU later if you want.

If you want Intel just buy the 10900K with a good VRM board and get 3200MHz RAM.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor ($709.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X73 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER ATX AM4 Motherboard ($351.51 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case ($139.99 @ Adorama)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($144.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $2251.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-25 21:39 EDT-0400
Is this something you would say is the very best performance you can get? I'm really just wanting to build a monster and just sit on it for a while kinda "future proof" if you will although I don't really think thats a thing with computers

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Is this something you would say is the very best performance you can get? I'm really just wanting to build a monster and just sit on it for a while kinda "future proof" if you will although I don't really think thats a thing with computers

It makes zero sense. You're paying a massive early adopter tax; when a PC that currently costs $2000 is obsolete, this monster PC will be almost obsolete. It's dumping thousands and thousands of dollars for no particular actual benefit. If you're just seeking to fritter away your money, well, you're an adult and that's your prerogative, but let's not pretend there's any real-world benefit. It's a bit like paying $100,000 to get a 2021 Honda Civic two months before anyone else can.

As for 8K, it's unrealistic and a 3000 series card isn't going to bail you out there either; we're talking four times the pixels of 4K. You'd need multi-GPU solutions to get good 8K FPS right now (and almost certainly a year from now too), but games largely get either limited benefit from multi-GPU solutions or none at all.

Essentially, you want to pay a lot of money to have 2025 happen in 2020. That's just not an option.

"a super gaming pc"

SLI - No
Multiple top end NVMe drives - No
$900 for a PSU? - No
etc

We could go through and select the most expensive part in each category. But why?
You could cut that price in half, and see zero perf difference.

Agreed.

OP, why build a pc that can run 8k in sli, when no games out are going to be able to run at 8k in sli...

This man is living in 2050 and were still in 2020.

It makes zero sense. You're paying a massive early adopter tax; when a PC that currently costs $2000 is obsolete, this monster PC will be almost obsolete. It's dumping thousands and thousands of dollars for no particular actual benefit. If you're just seeking to fritter away your money, well, you're an adult and that's your prerogative, but let's not pretend there's any real-world benefit. It's a bit like paying $100,000 to get a 2021 Honda Civic two months before anyone else can.

As for 8K, it's unrealistic and a 3000 series card isn't going to bail you out there either; we're talking four times the pixels of 4K. You'd need multi-GPU solutions to get good 8K FPS right now (and almost certainly a year from now too), but games largely get either limited benefit from multi-GPU solutions or none at all.

Essentially, you want to pay a lot of money to have 2025 happen in 2020. That's just not an option.
This, pretty much sums the whole thing up. It's not realistic. It's not even possible really. You'd be a hell of a lot happier with the end result if you simply targeted very good 4k gaming, which itself is incredibly HARD to do, and do well, itself.

Plus, you'd need two giant 8k TVs to make it worth doing because there are no computer monitors that are 8k and large enough to even be able to BENEFIT from them BEING 8k, and if you are going to game on TV's (Which generally suck compared to actual monitors) you are going to have to put them so far away to even make them worth using that you're not actually, again, going to see any benefit from them because two giant 8k televisions far enough away to reasonably be usable isn't going to look any better than a much smaller 4k monitor would at a fraction of the distance.

Anything beyond 43" 4k is just ridiculous and doesn't actually serve a purpose or offer any benefit worth throwing money at. Even at 43" you'd need them to be at least five feet away from you or they're just a waste.

Nvidia 3000 series should be able to push 4k well enough to finally make 4k worth even considering, it will be YEARS before there is anything that can push 8k well enough to make it worth considering, and even then like I said, it's probably going to be a hard sell to anybody with any common sense. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there with more money than brains, so it won't just go away, despite the fact that it probably really should.

mikejones15420

Reputable
Jul 14, 2018
Was not expecting this much reaction lol the people have spoken and shut me down. I thought it was a cool idea apparently not going for 4k! Going to have to do my research thanks for all the great answers 🤙🏻