[SOLVED] is it worth buying a new psu and case for my current pc?

Sep 12, 2020
Budget (including currency): $106

I have a PC that has the following specs:

i7-4770 with default intel cooler
GTX 980
bad off-brand PSU
an old case with bad ventilation and basically one fan.

The problem is because of the bad PSU I currently have, I can't use the GTX 980. I didn't have money to buy a good PSU but now I got about $106, so I think it's enough to buy a good PSU. The question is would it really make a big difference from my current laptop? It has a 1650 and i5-9300h but it's really unplayable at games like cyberpunk 2077 plus its thermals are so bad and like I use it for 8 hours in the morning and game in the evening, so I feel like I'm kinda stressing it a little.

P.S. I might be able to buy a whole new better PC when march or February 2021 rolls in because r5 3600 and the GPUs are just very expensive rn.

Solution
hey man, thanks for replying. so basically I've watched so many YT videos and I found out that the 980ti is like a beast. can I reach a level of overclocking my 980 to become to the level of performance of the 980ti? or maybe less but I'm really looking into overclocking the card and also enabling turbo boost for the CPU. also if you don't mind can you recommend what PSU I might be able to get? I don't think I will be able to buy a new case unfortunately because it's only $100. if there is leftover money I can buy a CPU cooler because I don't think they are expensive.
OCing to reach 980Ti? Not really, since they're both different GPUs inside. 980 is GM204. 980 Ti is GM200 (same as Titan X). You should be fine with a 550W PSU...
Budget (including currency): $106

I have a PC that has the following specs:

i7-4770 with default intel cooler
GTX 980
bad off-brand PSU
an old case with bad ventilation and basically one fan.

The problem is because of the bad PSU I currently have, I can't use the GTX 980. I didn't have money to buy a good PSU but now I got about $106, so I think it's enough to buy a good PSU. The question is would it really make a big difference from my current laptop? It has a 1650 and i5-9300h but it's really unplayable at games like cyberpunk 2077 plus its thermals are so bad and like I use it for 8 hours in the morning and game in the evening, so I feel like I'm kinda stressing it a little.

P.S. I might be able to buy a whole new better PC when march or February 2021 rolls in because r5 3600 and the GPUs are just very expensive rn.
Yeah. It's about 40-50% faster id imagine. Plus, since it's a laptop 1650, it's probably even faster than that. Definitely worth buying a PSU

Sep 12, 2020
Yeah. It's about 40-50% faster id imagine. Plus, since it's a laptop 1650, it's probably even faster than that. Definitely worth buying a PSU
hey man, thanks for replying. so basically I've watched so many YT videos and I found out that the 980ti is like a beast. can I reach a level of overclocking my 980 to become to the level of performance of the 980ti? or maybe less but I'm really looking into overclocking the card and also enabling turbo boost for the CPU. also if you don't mind can you recommend what PSU I might be able to get? I don't think I will be able to buy a new case unfortunately because it's only $100. if there is leftover money I can buy a CPU cooler because I don't think they are expensive.

OCing to reach 980Ti? Not really, since they're both different GPUs inside. 980 is GM204. 980 Ti is GM200 (same as Titan X). You should be fine with a 550W PSU. But a 650 is better for headroom. I'd suggest Corsair TX650M or CX650 (without M). Otherwise the same with 550. If you can spend a little more, RM650x can be found for $110 a lot of times. Idk about Arabia though. If you want, you can buy the CX650 and get a decent cooler like Hyper 212 RGB, cheap and functional, or freezer 34 esports duo, more expensive but way better

Solution