Is it worth changing from ATI X850 XT to X1950 pro (AGP)?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cleeve

Illustrious
Hehe. I love this guy. Now it's total abandonment of intelligent rebuttals in favor of poop insult humor. :lol:

s4fun, you have the biggest buttons on your forehead. It does my heart good to press them to my heart's content, and to play you like a cheap violin... :twisted:

Synergy6

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Aww.... How cute...... The brown crap on your nose sure looks like crap from Cleeve's behind.

Just to point out, I'm neutral on Cleeve. Very particular about etymology, but not pro-/anti- any THG staff/contributors. Well, at least until the first one advocates giving up computing :)

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
Aww.... How cute...... The brown crap on your nose sure looks like crap from Cleeve's behind.

Just to point out, I'm neutral on Cleeve. Very particular about etymology, but not pro-/anti- any THG staff/contributors. Well, at least until the first one advocates giving up computing :)

Easy to draw out a poster's true nature with a bit of a sarcastic reply. :lol:
Sad, but predictable when they go to the dookie reference. :cry:

s4fun

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
To quote Cleeve, this should help his ego boost:

"The fact is that you said Ati was 'screwing it's customers' because a two generation-old Ati card doesn't support the SM 3.0 that only now - three years after it's introduction - can't play two titles.
"

And Oblivion being just one (less than two) title of many, and it is supposed to be the criteria for all things video card?

BTW, I'm not in the business of hating anyone, corporations on the other hand is whole other issue. That's where good people are led to do bad things. But put enough pressure on them and they'll get fixed.

And it stands x850xt still will not ever get SM 3.0 support. But that is just one of many ways ATI has screwed its customers, time and time again. Whether you wish to recognize you have been screwed that is all up to how you like to feel it.

And as for intelligent arguments, that went out the door as soo as some decided that they are so special that they get to police the verbiage and wording of things.

kaotao

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
In response to your sm3.0 rant, I'll say this again, and I quote (myself)...

The reality of it, is that sm3.0 is only worth having if the card is powerful enough to FULLY utilize it. While the 6800 ultra was a great card, it still didn't quite have the power to get the most out of sm3.0, and at the time it was Nvidias top of the line card. It could be argued that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to add a feature that even your highend cards can't fully utilize. As for newer gen cards, only now can they take full advantage of sm3.0. The 7600GT is barely powerful enough to recommend buy it for that function alone. Yes, it, the 6800ultra, and the X850XT perform about the same, but the 7XXX series came out at a time when sm3.0 was more mainstream.

Get over it. As far as your other problems are concerned, I think it all comes down to user error. :roll:

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
In response to your sm3.0 rant, I'll say this again, and I quote (myself)...

The reality of it, is that sm3.0 is only worth having if the card is powerful enough to FULLY utilize it. While the 6800 ultra was a great card, it still didn't quite have the power to get the most out of sm3.0, and at the time it was Nvidias top of the line card. It could be argued that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to add a feature that even your highend cards can't fully utilize. As for newer gen cards, only now can they take full advantage of sm3.0. The 7600GT is barely powerful enough to recommend buy it for that function alone. Yes, it, the 6800ultra, and the X850XT perform about the same, but the 7XXX series came out at a time when sm3.0 was more mainstream.

Get over it. As far as your other problems are concerned, I think it all comes down to user error. :roll:

PEBKAC?

jthorn

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
So if you are ready to buy a video card, are yu gonna read a review by Cleeve or S4fun? :D Nuff said!

If you dont think "Best Video Gaming Cards for the Money" is anything but the best "non-fanboy" impartial review of gaming grade cards, written in the last 3 months, then I would like to know what is.

pauldh

Illustrious
And it stands x850xt still will not ever get SM 3.0 support.
What? Never? Can't even enable it with ATI Tool Beta 1.4.U.R.A.moron.0 ? I thought they already added X8xx PS3.0 support with the chuck patch.
happy001.gif

s4fun

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Yeah, yeah, its always user error to you ATI worshippers.

It is our fault to demand ATI deliver on a fews things that should have been delivered, or it is our fault to want extra features and functionality that ATI just doesn't do.

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
Yeah, yeah, its always user error to you ATI worshippers.

Oh here we go. lumping all of us into the "Luv ATi" crowd. I've never owned an ATi GPU card. :lol:

It is our fault to demand ATI deliver on a fews things that should have been delivered, or it is our fault to want extra features and functionality that ATI just doesn't do.

"I'm sorry, but that name has been disconnected and is no longer in service. In the future, you should be calling AMD. Thank you." :lol:

As their own webpage says: "AMD + ATi = The new AMD"

Im NOT knocking Nvidia here but why doesnt Nvidia support video playback as well as ati without purchasing it? And only some cards do it all? Unlike Ati which ALL their cards do? You see I dont hate playing the hardware (whichever company it is) I just hate seeing people hating their hardware when its playable/fixable and yet still complain about it. You can lead a nerd to water but some INSIST throwing it on their computer

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
To quote Cleeve, this should help his ego boost:

"The fact is that you said Ati was 'screwing it's customers' because a two generation-old Ati card doesn't support the SM 3.0 that only now - three years after it's introduction - can't play two titles.
"

And Oblivion being just one (less than two) title of many, and it is supposed to be the criteria for all things video card?
You can play Oblivion on an X850XT. Cleeve was referencing Splinter Cell: Double Agent and Rainbow Six: Vegas. Those two games require a SM3.0 capable graphics card. Oblivion does not.

cleeve

Illustrious
And as for intelligent arguments, that went out the door as soo as some decided that they are so special that they get to police the verbiage and wording of things.

Speak for yourself... everyone else here is still making intelligent arguments.

You're the one whose reduced himself to using poo insults and accusations of bum sex. :roll:

It's about that point where you lost all credibility as a constructive forum contributor. Now you're just here to play the role of the conspiracy theorist so we can revisit this thread and have a chuckle at your fanboy justifications, wild unprovable accusations and conspiracy theories.

At most - if we're lucky - you'll treat us with some more sexually oriented insults, fecal talk, and anecdotes about how the 'forum police' are violating the Geneva convention. :lol:

Be a good sport and perform a few more of your antics for us, will you lad? Everyone needs a laugh now and again. Please, seriously... tell me more about this forum policing that has you so emotionally involved.

I want to know how you REALLY feel. 8)

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I didn't read any other post, so I might sound off track.

I wouldn't upgrade to an X1950Pro from a X850XT. Yes performances will be better, but not this much. The only exception would be if you plan to play Ps3.0 only gams, as in last Splinter Cell if I'm right. But at the resolution you LCD support, there's a big chances your cpu will be a limiting factor for your P4.

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
thought I'd put up my experience if it helps, since it is pretty similar to a few users who posted here in this really fascinating thread lol.

I bought a 1950proagp 2 days ago at the same time as a new 22" LCD monitor at 1600x1050? or whatever the native is...

I have a socket 939 athlon64 3200, 1gb DDR1 non dual channel RAM, 450W PSU (working for now, whew!), 3 HDDs and an Antec 900 case.

my previous card was an x800gto with zalman cooler overclocked around 15% with atitool, with a 17" crt running 1280x1024 desktop and 1024x768 games. boy was I spoiled with 30-32 degree (celsius) gpu temps. now I am seeing around 50 degrees idle (with very good airflow) and it sure makes me anxious!

One thing to consider here, is resolution. I am a bit afraid that future titles could be hard on my system sooner rather than later, but I really needed a better card to support such a high res monitor anyways. I found that BF2 on all high settings and forced to 1600x1050 res runs well, but I confess it does drop some frames noticeably in a multiplayer server during action. I don't know the FPS because I could'nt remember the command when testing last night. :oops:

WoW with all maxed settings is a real treat in colour display on my new monitor. However, Just running around the world in general is netting me 30-40fps, and I feel WoW is a pretty low demand game. I imagine I will have to reduce a few settings a little to run instances well, but overall I am generally satisfied. I'm a little disappointed that I don't have 80+fps with my new vid card, but with such high res I'd be dreaming for that lol.

what it boils down to: playing games at high res is really nice, and many monitors at these resolutions are very affordable now. Even for us lowbie AGP users, these kinds of cards are still useful for having a nice high-res screen for quality movie watching, picture editing, etc without having to shell out for a new mobo, processor, ram etc to go PCIE. Maybe I'm a niche market with a nice monitor and a (relatively) low end enthusiast pc, but this card treats me well at least. :)

AndonSage

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
I'd like to laugh with you but I don't get it. :?
In reference to your "you can't call a fact wrong, because a fact is something real, and reality cannot be wrong" statement, and without stating which side I'm on, each side in the "man is causing global warming" argument uses "facts." If facts cannot be wrong, there would be no argument. QED :)

It was just an attempt at some ironic humor.

Gary