Is it worth getting a decent GPU with a bad monitor?

So, I have an old Dell 17 inch monitor which I've been using for about a year. Didn't do about monitors back then and just chose it randomly. I am not exactly in the budget for a new monitor. I currently have 230 dollars to spend on a GPU and if you guys could suggest a nice monitor then I could go for that with it. Anyway, my plan was to buy a 1060.
Current specs:
i3 540 3.06 Ghz (forget the bottleneck)
8 GB ddr3
Nvidia XFX 9800GT

Solution
Yes it's worth,

I see little to no point getting a 'okay' GPU just to match a 'okay' Monitor, because soon you will want to upgrade one of them, and with that, you will be left in the same spot again, trying to decide if it's worth upgrading the least quality part, and so on...

So, i'd recommend getting a nice GPU, the 1060 is great for 1080p gaming and it can max-out about anything at 60Hz or with a little tweaks @ 144Hz.
1440p is still doable, but if you wanna go to that, i'd get a 1070 at least.

With that, you will have plenty of power to your Monitor left. Save up some money and get a nice Monitor, so you will have both nice pieces together, instead of just okay/okay pieces. While this is definitely the longer way around...

manddy123

Admirable
Yes it's worth,

I see little to no point getting a 'okay' GPU just to match a 'okay' Monitor, because soon you will want to upgrade one of them, and with that, you will be left in the same spot again, trying to decide if it's worth upgrading the least quality part, and so on...

So, i'd recommend getting a nice GPU, the 1060 is great for 1080p gaming and it can max-out about anything at 60Hz or with a little tweaks @ 144Hz.
1440p is still doable, but if you wanna go to that, i'd get a 1070 at least.

With that, you will have plenty of power to your Monitor left. Save up some money and get a nice Monitor, so you will have both nice pieces together, instead of just okay/okay pieces. While this is definitely the longer way around it, it's at least the best option IMHO

Solution