[SOLVED] Is it worth getting a new Case? What CPU Cooler for the 8700k?

May 7, 2020
Is it worth upgrading my Corsair 750d to the Airflow edition or something else if you can persuade me?

What CPU Cooler should I get for my 8700k? I currently have the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo.

Also I need to replace the thermal paste, any advice? Which one to get etc..

Edit: Current Case has been upgraded with Corsair AF or SP fans which I can transfer over to the new one. I have three of them.

PC Specs:
Current GPU: Zotac 1070 Ti AMP
Monitor: 2560x1440p 144hz Freesync (LG-32GK650F)
MOBO: Asus Maximus x Hero
CPU: i7 8700k
PSU: EVGA Supernova 850 G2
RAM: 16GB 3200MHz DDR4

Solution
The K suffix processors are designed to be overclocked.
How high can not be advertised since the quality of a chip is variable ans well as the cooling setup.
If you had a non overclockable processor, would there be any reason to limit it's speed to 80% ??
I think not.

Your case is fine for air cooling. It can handle any air cooler made.

Functionally, I find it hard to imagine anything better than a noctua nh-d15s.
If the beige fan color disturbs your sense of aesthetics, there are chromax black options.
The 750D is a good case. Just get better case fans if you need more airflow. Getting as good as or better than the Airflow Edition. For considerably less money. But with the fans you have. What's the point?

The CPU cooler could use an upgrade. If you want to keep costs down yet have excellent performance. Get the Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B or Thermalright Macho Direct.

Reactions: Claken
May 7, 2020
Is it worth upgrading my Corsair 750d to the Airflow edition or something else if you can persuade me?

What CPU Cooler should I get for my 8700k? I currently have the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo.

Also I need to replace the thermal paste, any advice? Which one to get etc..

Edit: Current Case has been upgraded with Corsair AF or SP fans which I can transfer over to the new one. I have three of them.
The 750D is a good case. Just get better case fans if you need more airflow. Getting as good as or better than the Airflow Edition. For considerably less money. But with the fans you have. What's the point?

The CPU cooler could use an upgrade. If you want to keep costs down yet have excellent performance. Get the Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B or Thermalright Macho Direct.
Thankyou for your reply. Price isn't too much of a problem. How do those coolers compare to something like the Corsair H100i?

Yeah my CPU has been reaching 70oC recently although it has been hot weather and the thermal paste might be getting abit thinner.

I'm not overclocking or anything. Dont think I really need to yet?

If you aren't overclocking and able to sustain full Turbo Boost. Then you don't need to upgrade.

--------------------

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8857/corsair-h100i-pro-rgb-liquid-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html

The Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B beat the H100i in PWM tests in all modes on an overclocked CPU. It also did better in 12V fans (full max fan speed).

The Thermalright Macho Direct beat the H100i in PWM tests in Quiet and Balanced modes but lost by 0.25C in Extreme mode on an overclocked CPU. It was with 1C at 12V (max fans all the time). It also did better in 12V fans (full max fan speed).

---------------------

In a case with good airflow. You really need to go to 280mm or 360mm to beat big air. Even then it's tough to do without an open loop liquid cooler.

The advantages of a store bought liquid cooler.
  • Looks cool
  • Easier to get good performance as they exhaust heat directly. Big air is no good if case airflow stinks. (Which is not a problem for you)
  • Best option for compact case (airflow again)
  • Less stress on motherboard. Not a big problem nowadays. Motherboard manufacturers reinforce the PCB better now.

Disadvantages
  • Cost
  • Many more points of failure making for higher failure rates.
  • Leaks
  • Often lesser performance than good air cooling

Worth is something only YOU can determine.
Functionally, a newer/better case will not bring any performance improvement over what you now have.
If you want winky-blinky RGB bling or whatever, that is aesthetics and your choice.
As to cooling, yea, a fully loaded 8700K can get toasty.
Are you having any cooling issues now?
Hyper 212 is a popular cooler, mainly because it is cheap.
If you want better, I can suggest a twin tower air cooler like the noctua NH-D15s or be quiet drp4.
Each will include good paste and will cool just as well as a twin radiator 240/280 aio cooler.
Current temperatures in the 70c. range is excellent.
I suspect that you have scored a well binned chip.
You are leaving a bit of performance on the table by not overclocking.
That is what the K suffix processors were designed for.
as of 3/22/2018
What % of I7-8700k chips can oc
at a aggressive vcore near 1.4 or so and delidded
4.9 99%
5.0 88%
5.1 54%
5.2 22%

Note the delidded caveat, your results will be a bit less.

May 7, 2020
Worth is something only YOU can determine.
Functionally, a newer/better case will not bring any performance improvement over what you now have.
If you want winky-blinky RGB bling or whatever, that is aesthetics and your choice.
As to cooling, yea, a fully loaded 8700K can get toasty.
Are you having any cooling issues now?
Hyper 212 is a popular cooler, mainly because it is cheap.
If you want better, I can suggest a twin tower air cooler like the noctua NH-D15s or be quiet drp4.
Each will include good paste and will cool just as well as a twin radiator 240/280 aio cooler.
Current temperatures in the 70c. range is excellent.
I suspect that you have scored a well binned chip.
You are leaving a bit of performance on the table by not overclocking.
That is what the K suffix processors were designed for.
as of 3/22/2018
What % of I7-8700k chips can oc
at a aggressive vcore near 1.4 or so and delidded
4.9 99%
5.0 88%
5.1 54%
5.2 22%

Note the delidded caveat, your results will be a bit less.
Yeah I have the Coolermaster 212 evo left over from the previous CPU. I think an upgrade seems fitting for the 8700k. Price isn't a problem if it's worth it. Good quality, good performance is what I'm looking for.

Dont suppose anyone would know if my PSU is okay? Do I have enough power for everything?

The power required is mainly determined by the graphics card/s you will use.
A GTX1070ti would suggest a 550w psu. Possibly more for the higher powered amp version.
Here is a handy chart for other options.
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Your psu is of excellent quality and can likely deliver more than advertised power under all conditions.
I can't imagine you ever needing more. That was a very good purchase decision.

May 7, 2020
The power required is mainly determined by the graphics card/s you will use.
A GTX1070ti would suggest a 550w psu. Possibly more for the higher powered amp version.
Here is a handy chart for other options.
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Your psu is of excellent quality and can likely deliver more than advertised power under all conditions.
I can't imagine you ever needing more. That was a very good purchase decision.
Ah well yes I asked the internet before I bought the PSU just like now haha.
So overall what CPU Cooler would you recommend? If money is not an issue without going overkill for an 8700k? Cant imagine I will be upgrading from an 8700k anytime soon either? My PC is mainly for gaming however I do stream and would like to get into gfx and music soon too.

When would I need to overclock the 8700k?

How high can not be advertised since the quality of a chip is variable ans well as the cooling setup.
If you had a non overclockable processor, would there be any reason to limit it's speed to 80% ??
I think not.

If the beige fan color disturbs your sense of aesthetics, there are chromax black options.

Solution
Ah well yes I asked the internet before I bought the PSU just like now haha.
So overall what CPU Cooler would you recommend? If money is not an issue without going overkill for an 8700k? Cant imagine I will be upgrading from an 8700k anytime soon either? My PC is mainly for gaming however I do stream and would like to get into gfx and music soon too.

When would I need to overclock the 8700k?

My favorite budget friendly are the Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B or Thermalright Macho Direct. At least in the US they have a good price. When tested they perform right around that of the Noctua D15. The Scythe is the better of the two. Both are listed in the linked article. The overclocked PWM load test is the most important. As I doubt you'll want to run it at full 12V all the time. Idle numbers are pretty meaningless as that just takes tweaking the fan curve.

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8320/scythe-mugen-5-rev-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html

May 7, 2020
I think not.

If the beige fan color disturbs your sense of aesthetics, there are chrom
I think not.

Thankyou for your reply. The Noctua nh-d15s looks great in terms of price and it looks pretty hefty. If you recommend it I will take your word haha.

I've been out of the loop for a while and things seem to change all the time so I can't keep up with everything. Thank you, just gonna double-check it fits inside the case and then will buy it along with some SSDs. Finally upgrading from HDDs so should be good haha. Thanks again for your time.

I use a NH-D15s to cool a 8600K @5.0. A simple cpu-Z stress test gives me about 67c.
The cooler should be ok for any processor. If you are seeking high overclocks on a i9 then only a 360 aio cooler would do better.

On the SSD's, I saw you said plural. I think it is much easier to manage a single large C drive space vs. multiple devices.

May 7, 2020
I use a NH-D15s to cool a 8600K @5.0. A simple cpu-Z stress test gives me about 67c.
The cooler should be ok for any processor. If you are seeking high overclocks on a i9 then only a 360 aio cooler would do better.

On the SSD's, I saw you said plural. I think it is much easier to manage a single large C drive space vs. multiple devices.
I currently have two HDDs. An old WD Blue 1tb and a slightly newer(ish) WD Red Pro 3TB.

I was looking to upgrade to SSDs. I did already make a post about this topic but am going to check it again before I purchase. I think they said nvme something.

I was planning to get at least 3TB worth of SSDs and just completely switch them out and discard my HDDs.

All SSD devices use nvme which is a protocol.
But, what they really mean is that the devices can use pcie which is some 4x faster sequentially than sata.
That is not as important as it sounds since most activity is small random I/O and that may be 40X better than a HDD.
The only negative to a ssd is the cost per gigabyte.
Also, the pcie devices will come in a small form factor called m.2 It is about the size of a stick of gum and installs in a m.2 slot on the motherboard.
It needs no power or data connections.

May 7, 2020
All SSD devices use nvme which is a protocol.
But, what they really mean is that the devices can use pcie which is some 4x faster sequentially than sata.
That is not as important as it sounds since most activity is small random I/O and that may be 40X better than a HDD.
The only negative to a ssd is the cost per gigabyte.
Also, the pcie devices will come in a small form factor called m.2 It is about the size of a stick of gum and installs in a m.2 slot on the motherboard.
It needs no power or data connections.
Don't suppose you could recommend any SSDs? A few 1TBs or couple 2TBs worth? I've heard about them having ddr3/4 memory too?