Is it worth getting a ryzen 1800x for under 200usd as upgrade to i7 3770 at 4.3 GHz

goldorak

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Hello.

I was bargaining with a guy to get his new boxed ryzen 1800x for something between usd 150 and 200.
I currently have an i7 3770 overclocked to 4.3 Ghz using turbo overclock on the msi z77 motherboard. I.e. raising the turbo multiplier.

I like new gadgets and do not use the computer at home much. It does have a gtx 1070 but I do not game much. I am more interested to see better boot up and more responsive windows 10 environment to do ms office work and possibly more video ripping and the like and maybe casual gaming. I have 16gb ddr3 ram clocked at 2133 and sata evo disk.

I feel the windows experience is not as smooth as I want in the current setup. Of course there are some apps that are booting at startup.

Would you recommend that I continue my bargaining for this 1800x? And maybe jump to Msata disk.

Kindly note that a ryzen 2700x in my country is being sold at around 375 usd. But I do travel to the US and can get it some parts from there.

As you would need new DDR4 RAM and a mainboard, I'd research any potential frame rate jumps (possibly minimal), depending on which games and at what resolution, a bit more thoroughly before that upgrade...; the older i7 at 4.3 GHz is no slouch even today.

If considering an M.2 drive, you want an NVME variant (up to 3500 MB/sec), not an M.2 SATA spec variant which performs identically as standard 2.5" SATA drives (540 MB/sec).

goldorak

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Yes I was considering the nvme variant. My main interest is not gaming, it is more windows responsiveness and work based programs and possibly some video ripping. So am not sure if it is worth getting this 1800x. But he price seems compelling.

TRENDING THREADS