Is it worth getting an HD7950 off ebay? (Or any AMD for that matter?) They got cheap again.

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
Out of curiosity wondering how much I could sell my own HD7950 for I checked ebay and saw many HD7950 going for cheap at Buy It Now listings. My friend has been wanting a dedicated GPU but I dunno if these used AMD gpu are worth it...

(wanting an nvidia for shadowplay, back when I built my pc my original GPU to get was the GTX660ti, but the HD7950 came with a couple games like FC3,Hitman,Sleeping Dogs...and we know how quickly those and basically all pc games hit bargain bin pricing...)

anyway, I see quite a few HD7950s even under $200, or right around $200. Now....that's what they were going for brand new around early Nov and then they skyrocketed to above $400 at times. I saw a brand new HIS HD7950 on newegg for around $160 at that time as well in Nov. But I imagine the ones being sold are beat to hell due to mining....

With how stuff fluctuates I wouldn't be surprised to see them at $400 in a month again, or maybe the "new" R9 280(rebranded HD7950) gpu brought the pricing back down to normal levels

TomTom111

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
The 7000 series GPUs are essentially discontinued by Radeon Graphics.
their new focus is on the 'R#' line, so you are correct in your skepticism about buying a used 7950 that may be beat up.
I actually sold my 7950 at $500 after i bought it for ~$230, and with the money i got from that, i bought a GTX 780, and there was no going back for me.

If you are able to find one for around $200, i would say go for it, as long as they have a fair return policy.
It really was a great card for me at that price point. BF4 on ultra at >60fps and now supporting the new API Mantle, and they overclocked like a dream.
But when they almost tripled in price, i capitalized, and got something stronger from team green.

Deuce65

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013

Bitcoin prices tanked and scrypt asics are now widely available. Doubtful it will go up in value. Its a good card, but now is more the time to be buying them than selling them. Lots of people are looking to unload them at this point and as you yourself mentioned, they're really about a 150 dollar card once the mining is taken out of the equation.. I would expect the prices to drop even further.

schau314

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
Sorry to jack the thread a little bit but I was looking to buy a 680 from a local seller for 215. He backed off and said they are worth 300 from his ebay searches. Are those going up in price right now or is it just because the amds are lowering.

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
I wouldn't pay 300 for a gtx 680.... the newer gtx 770 is basically a higher clocked 680 and new I've seen for about 300, I'm sure possibly less on ebay. I don't understand people selling older cards for more than their new equivalent. Doing an ebay search just now I saw prices all over the place for gtx 680s, from 270 all the way past 500.

I wasn't aware that bitcoin prices tanked, that must be why. I have no interest whatsoever in ever bothering with mining. I guess people thought they were going to be cool and edgy with their new currency and it tanked on them....that's what they get for driving up the prices of GPUs all these months straight hahaha :p

schau314

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
Im mad because i can;t get a gtx 680 4gb for 215 anymore. Im happy since I might be able to get a 7950 for a decent price if it is still under warranty. Gosh pc master race why would you tell him 325 for a 680 4gb is a great price. Thanks for the info, I now realize the abundance of mining rigs on craiglist.

schau314

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
Thank you for the offer but unfortunately since those cards are dropping in price as said and the current price is only 210 for a new 2gb version i will pass since the last item I bought on here which was an i5 combo was sent from china and is still shipping here. If it arrives in one piece I will be happy and if not I might be out 180 so i am a little hesitant to buy any items through shipping until that item arrives. Just me worrying and forgetting to ask where the item was shipped from. It should have stated in the add, but again thanks for that good deal i'm sure someone wants it.

TRENDING THREADS