[SOLVED] Is it worth having a water cooling loop to my core i9 9900k and my rtx 20180 ti?

Solution
RTX2080ti can hit 300w. The i9-9900k can hit 250w on stock values. Expect that to reach 300w on a heavy OC. There isn't an aircooler made that'll keep a i9 9900k temps in check under a full boat OC and full core usage.

Recommended coolers for that i9 start at the Noctua NH-D15S, just for stock values, with a strong preference for 280mm/360mm AIO's. It's the only enthusiast class cpu since the FX 9 series cpus where full custom loop is warranted.

With a @600w possible thermal output, Yes, absolutely full custom loop is a serious consideration as a cooling alternative. Many ppl have had thermal throttling issues on the RTX2080ti series simply due to lack of sufficient cooling ability on the VRM's under heavy loads.

A...

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
Only if you're interested in getting lower case/gpu temps, want it silent (while keeping temps low).
Fact is, cars and many other things are water cooled for a reason, as heat exchange is better than with air.

I prefer it over aircooĺing as i can run a 240 with inaudible fans while cpu is under full load (100% with prime95), which will cost similar if done with air, especially if i want it silent (no sound from the pc at idle/low load).
2nd your removing the cpu heat without dumping it inside the case, which in return lowers case temps by about 30C, and helps lowering gpu/chipset temp.

Usually aio arent a higher risk, ive had more ppl (friends/family/customers) kill a cpu because of problems with the air cooler, zero ppl with leaks (installed properly) Build about 100 rigs and fixed about 1000 in the past 20y, so im not talking about a handful of computers.

And with companies like corsair offering not only 5y warranty, but also covering ANY hardware that gets damaged if it dies/leaks, makes it a no-brainer for me.
And good air coolers/fans arent that much cheaper in most cases.
Also has less restrictions for airflow (components next to cpu) as well as what ram can be installed, where some air coolers might require low profile ram or might even block slots, not even talking about cases.

If noise/higher gpu temps (mid/higher end cards) isnt an issue, dont worry, otherwise spending a bit more can make a bi difference, even when looking at dust build up.
Because of the lower rpm, i now have less dust inside running pc for 10 month, vs before i had to clean it at least every 6 month.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
RTX2080ti can hit 300w. The i9-9900k can hit 250w on stock values. Expect that to reach 300w on a heavy OC. There isn't an aircooler made that'll keep a i9 9900k temps in check under a full boat OC and full core usage.

Recommended coolers for that i9 start at the Noctua NH-D15S, just for stock values, with a strong preference for 280mm/360mm AIO's. It's the only enthusiast class cpu since the FX 9 series cpus where full custom loop is warranted.

With a @600w possible thermal output, Yes, absolutely full custom loop is a serious consideration as a cooling alternative. Many ppl have had thermal throttling issues on the RTX2080ti series simply due to lack of sufficient cooling ability on the VRM's under heavy loads.

A monoblock would be best for that gpu, but it's hit or miss, many custom pcbs don't have monoblock designs.

Reactions: fry178
Solution
Jun 14, 2019
So many people worried about leaks have not personally watercooled or used AIOs, but 'recommend' against them because of potential failures.

Pity, really.
I read a lot of posts that do "advise" against them, yet when you look for proof there's not a ton of instances,save for custom built loops, that leak.
I just went out today and purchased a cooler master AIO. I believe some issues im having are related to CPU temps. So I'm gonna jump in head first and give it a go.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
That's the thing - if you read reviews about cable TV service or telephone, you ALWAYS just read the bad stuff because people like to let other people know when something fails.

It is less often that you see the good things people post. Do a survey by checking the system builds on any forum and see what % of users are using some form of 'liquid cooling'.

If you are to Google about 'liquid cooling leaks' of course you're only going to find the negative scenarios...that's what you Googled for.

I've tested and reviewed dozens of coolers for Tom's Hardware - I probably have 25-35+ AIOs at my house right now in my office storage. None of them have leaks...even the brands I hadn't really heard of until I did tests.

Reactions: fry178

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Corsair puts its name on somewhere around 1million different aios every year. There is a failure rate to anything made by man. So yes, there are leaks. Factory defects. It happens. 0.1% roughly. That's 1000 possible posts every year, blasting away at what a leaky pos did to their baby.

What you don't see is the 998,999 other users posting after a year that they are so happy they bought that aio...

Chances of a leak nowadays is smaller than the chance of psu failure, Ram failure, motherboard failure. There's several hundred posts daily, just on this site on each of those failures or issues. There's maybe 1 post a month about leaks in an aio, and most of those per year were caused by the installer.

In almost 40 years of messing around with pc's, I've not once ever had a leaky aio. I've had a Phanteks cooler with a warped base, I've had a gigabyte mobo crack from a heatsinks weight, I've had a hyper212 heatpipe come loose from the base, an Evga gpu melt, even a Noctua NH-D14 with a leaky heatpipe tip. But not a single aio leak.

Ppl are sheep. They'll bleat all day about 1 bad blade of grass. Doesn't ruin the rest of the pasture.