[SOLVED] Is it worth it and doable to upgrade from SATA to NVE on older board?

ketrab

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
Hey,

Running on GA-Z77X-UP4 TH which has pciex4 available.

Wondering if its even worth trying to go for NVMe to PCIE adapter (like this) and to upgrade like 2280 to get more performance.

Question is will the motherboard even support such a setup and/or is it worth the trouble? Or possibly start looking at the new build....?

Rig mainly used mainly for occasional gaming and video editing.

Thank you in advance!

Solution
Your motherboards bios will not recognize any NVME in an adapter as bootable. You cannot boot from the NVME in that adapter.

Generally NVME drives are not much faster than SATA SSDs for the majority of tasks. You might shave a single digit percentage off of your loading times, but unless you do long sustained reads and writes the difference between a SATA and NVME is hard to notice.

I suggest just keeping your Samsung SATA SSD.

ketrab

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
Yes, to clarify this would be to replace existing OS Samsung EVO SSD.

So bottom line no point of going NVMe with z77 mobo? @USAFRet just not compatible or what is the case?

@NightHawkRMX what do you mean "only noticeably faster over SATA in benchmarks and a few applications. " - you would think all will outperform no i.e windows boot etc?

Your motherboards bios will not recognize any NVME in an adapter as bootable. You cannot boot from the NVME in that adapter.

Generally NVME drives are not much faster than SATA SSDs for the majority of tasks. You might shave a single digit percentage off of your loading times, but unless you do long sustained reads and writes the difference between a SATA and NVME is hard to notice.

Solution

ketrab

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008

So are you tell me that even though nvme has a higher speeds there are no applications that can use that? And going back to sata-What about creating raid0? Or just not worth it?

USAFRet

Titan
I recently added an Intel 660p NVMe drive, in a PCIe adapter to my Z97 based system.

The 660p benchmarks 3x a SAYA III SSD, in sequential data.

A test of some of my typical workload, image editing.
Taking 5 RAW pics directly from my camera, applying a dozen or so big edits in Lightroom.
Writing out those same 5 pics to .jpg.

Writing to the 660p, or a 1TB Samsung 860, or a 250GB Samsung 840....took exactly the same amount of time. 15 seconds.

Performance is not just the drive speed, but also the whole rest of the system.