Is it worth it? Computer Newbie!

GTS458

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Hello, new to THG!

Well my buddy at work said he can build me a fast gaming computer cheap, and he said it'll be extremely fast and he assures me it will play my favourite games (Crysis, TC Rainbow 6 Vegas, etc.) Here's what he listed for me. He saids I can buy it for $1250 CAD including the building of it. But no operating software.

Intel E1400 2ghz? - He said it'll be really fast because of its 4 cores or something? Sorry I am a noob to this things. :na:
2GB PC-5300 Kingston
Asus P5QL mainboard
Coolermaster Elite 330
Rosewill RX850 850w
Western Digit 160GB sata
LG H22NS DVD
XFX 7200GS - He said really fast for game
Creative X-FI Xtreme Audio 7.1

I have the typing keyboard and mouse, and a 19 inch screen. Right now I play on my cousins Dell XPS computer. Is this worth the price? I think he said I answer him by 2 days later, to see if i want it. Thank you everyone!

No, not good for games

The XFX 7200GS is crap, especially now. You don't want anything less than a Radeon 4770 or 9800GT if you want to play Crysis on high (depending on your monitor resolution). The other games aren't so demanding though. The Rosewill PSU is crap and I wouldn't use it even on a non gaming system. You may not need more than 2GB if you're on a budget, but 4GB is so cheap now there is no reason not to go for it. The E1400 is way too slow and that's a dual core CPU. Even for a budget system go with something like at least an Intel E5200 or an AMD 7750 and overclock it a little.

GTS458

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
So I should not buy this machine. So is he lied to me? Why he say theres 4 core and its fast? Should I get someone else to build it?

Yes and i suggest you learn how to build it yourself - its not as hard and the sense of satisfaction is awesome! For a budget gamer i would go

X2 7750BE
Biostar/Asrock 790GX
2 X 2 gb 1066
HD 4770

Your upgrade options are stellar:
CF with another HD 4770
Upgrade that chip to an AM2+/AM3 Phenom 2 X4/X3/X2 Deneb/Heka/Regor
all on the same/original mobo/rams

sub mesa

Distinguished
That videocard is totally crap yes, you wouldn't play much games with the system he recommended you. Going with a modern GPU like HD 4770 would be a start, generally a system like batuchka advised you would run your games fine.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
You're getting ripped off! Not to talk bad about your "buddy at work" but it seems he is certainly at work to make a profit on this build. If you want to go for a value gaming system for less than a 1,000 CAD, you should be able to fit an e7300 and 9800 GT in that budget. If you have a computer club in your school, ask your teacher/s if they're willing to help you build it. Start looking at youtube videos on how to install CPUs, motherboards, videcards. It's all very simple.

Amistad

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2005
The same parts on Newegg.ca (AFIAK only supplier that sell Rosewill brand) except for the Creative X-FI Xtreme Audio 7.1.

749.43 Shipped.

This is 500$ for the building. Pricy

And I support HundredIslandsBoy, it's very simple to build it yourself.

Yes that is a complete lowend system. Your buddy is pulling a fast one on you. I am not sure what CAD converts to in USD, but I have a feeling that 1250 is to much.

That cpu is bottom of the barrel Celeron chip. You would be better off building your own. If he is a "buddy" sit down and buy the parts yourself with his assistance. Have him help you build it and repay him with a case of beer or something. I've done this a few times and don't mind if I get something out of it in the end. I usually request a 750ml bottle of Crown Royal or something. haha.

thingieing

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

he is totaly ripping you off bad for $1200

i just built an amazing tower for less than $700 CAD w/ E5200 @ 2.5GHz (can be overclocked for faster speed), HD 4870 Toxic Edition, Asus P5Q-E, 4GB OCZ Platinum PC8500, Antec 500 Basiq Power, XClio A380 PLUS, Scythe Orochi 10, and lots of cooling too

last time i checked Dell.ca was selling a 23" 1080P LCD for $210 CAD

so u can get a pretty amazing tower plus monitor for less than $1000 better than what your friend's giving you, plus those parts hez giving you are pretty old parts, i bet that tower is probably his old system....just check out places like canadacomputers.com, tigerdirect.ca, infonec, etc....these places have really cheap prices of parts if you are in Canada

and nowadays, onboard sound is good enough already

GTS458

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Thanks everyone! He said he'll lower the prcie to 1125 CAD, but I still said no. I told him about how the processor is not 4 and that the graphics card is crapp. He didn't thnk I knows anything so I'll show this to him. Thanks again for helping me save a pssible 1250 from my wallet.

radiowars

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009

Nice decision man, I did that once and that's the most depressing feeling in the world when your computer struggles with OLDER games.
My old 8500 sucked, Its fine for the price, but it lagged on TF2. If you want, ask us to arrange a rig for you, and (I promise lol) we'll all help you get it set up, built, and running in no time.
Welcome to TH!

Yeah he was obviously trying to take advantage of you. I wouldn't trust him. Either throw a system together yourself or look for a local shop that you can talk to someone. Sometimes I find that local shops do a pretty good job with custom build and keep their price reasonable. But honestly, READ, then READ some more, and talk in these forums. It's VERY easy to but a computer together if you have all the right pieces and have an average intelligence. The hardest part would probably be loading the OS and getting all the drivers installed. And to be honest Vista is the simplest OS I EVER installed. You can save yourself alot of money by doing it yourself and you will learn a WHOLE heck of alot.

I build my first PC when I was 15 and it was an AMD 486 100MHz computer. Back then you had to set the jumpers on the motherboard to set your bus speed, multiplier, cpu speed, etc, etc. You had to manually enter the HD information into the BIOS.