Is it worth it (slot A)?

broggiemonster

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have an Athlon slot classic 650 mhz. To overclock it I will need a beefed up heatsink and fan, and a freespeed GFD.
The arctic Silver thermal transfer compound I would buy anyway.
GFD and heatsink cost £50 and so the question is simply would the speed gain justify the cost?

I don't want to waste money needlessly.

Thanks

Raymond.

soup20000

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would sell what you have now on Ebay... you would get ~$150. Then go out and get a new Socket A mobo and CPU.

soup.

AMD for Life!

G

50 pounds sounds rather excessive, you could pick up a 800mhz TB for that price. You don't have to have arctic silver. Converting american or canadian prices (and they screw us canadians!) to pounds would yield closer to 20 pounds. ($20USD heatsink, $20USD GFD)

My recommendation? An overclock is always fun, but I wouldn't be droping much money in a new platform or processor. You're 650 should do quite nicely unless you're doing some sort of high-end professional application (in which case you wouldn't be considering an OC). Is it safe to assume you want the performance for gaming? 50 pounds would likely be more wisely put towards a video card, either now or in the future depending on what you've got. Look up some benchmarks on the performance difference on a GF2 at 1024x768+ on a 650 and 1.2ghz processor. There's almost no difference.