[SOLVED] Is it worth it to buy RX 5700XT right now, considering the prices and benchmarks of the new 6800XT?

Nov 14, 2020
The question is in the title. The other question is, what is your opinion on those GPUs in comparison to NVIDIA ones? Is it worth it to wait until the 3060 Ti release?

Building a new PC on Ryzen 5 5600X, and GPU is the last variable here.

I have a 1080p monitor, so I'm not looking for 4k gaming right now, but don't want to buy a new GPU in at least 2-3 years. Is 5700XT gonna last that long, since it came out last year?

Solution
16 GB of VRAM is overkill now, But in a few years AAA games may well use that much VRAM.
But I don't see 16 GB VRAM being necessary for quite a while.

As far as getting a current GPU, that is entirely your call.
Just FYI, Nvidia recently stated that they will be enabling a Smart Memory Access like feature on Ampere GPU's.
So I would look at RTX 3000 series cards as well as the AMD GPU's reviews/benchmarks before making a final decision.

I personally tend to buy mid level cards every 2-3 years and sell my older card to help offset the cost of the newer card.

dflan83

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2012
I recently (within last 8 months) purchased the sapphire nitro + 5700xt and it is a beast especially at 1080p and even some 1440p games.
That said I have been tempted to upgrade and even though I have the money I feel like the decision to upgrade to a 6800xt would leave me having some buyers remorse.

I would say if you were on the 10series from nvidia or 500 series AMD yea its a worthy upgrade. However at 1080p I would still see the 5700xt doing well for the next 2 years.
There will always be newer stuff. Save up for a beast in 2ish years and skip every other generation cycle

Nov 14, 2020
I recently (within last 8 months) purchased the sapphire nitro + 5700xt and it is a beast especially at 1080p and even some 1440p games.
That said I have been tempted to upgrade and even though I have the money I feel like the decision to upgrade to a 6800xt would leave me having some buyers remorse.

I would say if you were on the 10series from nvidia or 500 series AMD yea its a worthy upgrade. However at 1080p I would still see the 5700xt doing well for the next 2 years.
There will always be newer stuff. Save up for a beast in 2ish years and skip every other generation cycle

Right, but I have my oldie 1060 3GB, which is not feeling so good, so I'm looking more or less the best choice/value as of late 2020.

Also, there are some specs and benchmarks of 6800XT and 3060Ti being leaked, so I'm paying attention to that.

I have a question that is kinda relevant to the topic - 3060Ti "possibly" will have 8 GB VRAM, when 6800XT has 16 GB. How VRAM is going to affect the build overtime? I've read somewhere that in 1-2 years it will be required in higher quantities, so it is really worth it to invest in 6800XT, however, the "possible" price of 3060Ti and speed is a bit attractive too. Then another question comes up, will 8 GB of VRAM be relevant in the same 1-2 years? What do you think?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I am confident that at 1080p my 2060 Super will handles games just fine (60 FPS) for me for the next 2 years or so.
I do think that 6-8 GB VRAM will probably be required by some if not most AAA games in 2-3 years.
At that point I will most likely be looking for a 3060 Ti (or it's AMD equivalent) with 8-12 GB VRAM.
By then I will probably be using 1440p monitor at 60-75 Hz possibly 120 Hz.
But as long as I get 60+ fps at the resolution I am using I personally will still be happy.
IMO, 100+ fps is only really beneficial for competitive gaming.

Reactions: macca2077
Nov 14, 2020
I am confident that at 1080p my 2060 Super will handles games just fine (60 FPS) for me for the next 2 years or so.
I do think that 6-8 GB VRAM will probably be required by some if not most AAA games in 2-3 years.
At that point I will most likely be looking for a 3060 Ti (or it's AMD equivalent) with 8-12 GB VRAM.
By then I will probably be using 1440p monitor at 60-75 Hz possibly 120 Hz.
But as long as I get 60+ fps at the resolution I am using I personally will still be happy.
IMO, 100+ fps is only really beneficial for competitive gaming.

So you think that 16 GB VRAM is overkill, right?

The last concern that I have is that with 5 5600X I'm really missing out on the whole AMD smart access memory, and it is a good opportunity to make a build that will last for 4 or even 5 years (with 6800XT). What do you think?

It feels strange to make a build with a last year's GPU, meaning than in 2-3 years I'd have to spend money on the GPU and possibly on the CPU once again, when if I invest extra 150-200 usd in the GPU right now I could be set for a long time.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
16 GB of VRAM is overkill now, But in a few years AAA games may well use that much VRAM.

Just FYI, Nvidia recently stated that they will be enabling a Smart Memory Access like feature on Ampere GPU's.
So I would look at RTX 3000 series cards as well as the AMD GPU's reviews/benchmarks before making a final decision.

I personally tend to buy mid level cards every 2-3 years and sell my older card to help offset the cost of the newer card.

Reactions: macca2077
Solution

BradHP

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I was looking at prices earlier tonight, and it seems like the 5700XT is currently at some of the highest prices I've seen over the last few weeks. I've been torn over grabbing one of them, or waiting to see if I can get any of the new cards (either AMD or NVIDIA), but the prices really suck when you compare them to how much better performing a 3070 or 3080 is.

Nov 14, 2020

Thank you for your reply!

I, personally, feel like buying a mid-level card might be my way too, since the current build is quite expensive already, and considering that 16 GB VRAM is overkill for a 1080p build.

However, theoretically, I still feel like it gives me more options, meaning that I can upgrade to a 4k display in the upcoming future. But then the whole build will be relevant for like 2-3 years, and no more, as I can see. So, overall, if I'm looking at 1080p60fps gaming for the next 4-5 years, it is better to stick with mid-level GPUs now, and within the next 2-3 years upgrade only the GPU?

To be honest, I'm a bit tired from running back and forth between those 2 options, considering the VRAM, resolution, and this Smart Access Memory, and I'm not even looking at the NVIDIA cards as of now. The upcoming release of a 3060Ti is really interesting, but I need my PC to be ready within the next month or so. In your opinion, what is the most reliable choice for a GPU in pair with a 5 5600X, w/ or w/o a theoretical upgrade of the monitor to a 4k one in the upcoming years?

Last edited:

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I would definitely look into the new AMD cards.
Sadly the RTX 3000 cards are hard to get and the new AMD cards will probably be just as hard to get anytime soon.
And as BradHP said the 5700 XT and RTX 2000 cards are currently over priced.
I paid $400 for my MSI 2060 Super Armor OC and now they are selling for $600-$650.

If I was buying a GPU today to pair with my existing 3700x CPU, I would be looking at the AMD 6800 vs the RTX 3060 Ti.
Then in a few years I'd upgrade the GPU and get also upgrade to a Ryzen 5000 (probably a 5700x if they release one).

PS
Read this:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6800/41.html
and this:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt/41.html

Last edited: