[SOLVED] Is it worth it to get a third case fan? I want to get a quiet one to fit my r5 computer case but the temps only go down by 2 degrees if you do?

David_24

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2015
Whats a quiet fan that would fit in the front of my r5 define case next to the other fan thats already in there. Should I even bother or save the money? I'm ocing a ryzen 3600 in there.

Solution
In any system the control of fan speeds is based on a TEMPERATURE measured by a sensor. In the CASE ventilation fan situation, the SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN headers normally are guided by a temp sensor on the mobo. The system changes the fan speed according to what temperature is measured. If you add a fan that CAN help deliver more air flow and cooling, the automatic system may simply run all the fans slightly slower to maintain the SAME temperature target they always had. But what that DOES do is, when you increase your workload and get to high cooling requirements, the added air flow capacity CAN keep up with the higher heat load by simply speeding up all the fans.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There's some contradiction here...
"silence + overclocking" Don't overclock if you're concerned with noise.
Silence-focused fans sacrifice performance for those lower noise levels.

There's also nothing to be gained from manually overclocking Ryzen 3000. In bios, turn on Precision Boost Overdrive and the Auto OC feature, and it'll take care of itself.
But if case and cpu cooling aren't up to snuff, expect fans to run a little louder... unless you cap the fan speed, but then how warm will the cpu run afterwards?

David_24

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2015
There's some contradiction here...
"silence + overclocking" Don't overclock if you're concerned with noise.
Silence-focused fans sacrifice performance for those lower noise levels.

There's also nothing to be gained from manually overclocking Ryzen 3000. In bios, turn on Precision Boost Overdrive and the Auto OC feature, and it'll take care of itself.
But if case and cpu cooling aren't up to snuff, expect fans to run a little louder... unless you cap the fan speed, but then how warm will the cpu run afterwards?
Auto oc only got me up to 4.05 now I'm at 4.20 the number for marijuana which i think is cool. Also tahts 3.7% more powerful.
With computer power the faster it is the more expensive the further you get away from value

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Are you running the latest bios?
Also, these chips are temperature sensitive, like Nvidia's 10, 16, and 20 series cards. The warmer they run, the smaller the auto boost clocks.
Prioritizing noise over performance is hurting you here... that's why I said overclocking + noise don't mix well.
No OC = lower temps and less noise.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
In any system the control of fan speeds is based on a TEMPERATURE measured by a sensor. In the CASE ventilation fan situation, the SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN headers normally are guided by a temp sensor on the mobo. The system changes the fan speed according to what temperature is measured. If you add a fan that CAN help deliver more air flow and cooling, the automatic system may simply run all the fans slightly slower to maintain the SAME temperature target they always had. But what that DOES do is, when you increase your workload and get to high cooling requirements, the added air flow capacity CAN keep up with the higher heat load by simply speeding up all the fans.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS