Is it worth it to go 144hz if you can't afford a G-Sync monitor?

Dr Girlfriend

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
I have a 970, and every G-Sync monitor I've found starts at ~$400, whereas the non G-Sync/freesync monitors can be had at the $250 mark, which is right where my budget is right now.

Should I just hold off until I have the extra money to blow?

Solution
Assuming your GTX970 and cpu can generate frame rates faster than your current refresh rate, you will be exposed to screen tearing.
That is where a new image arrives before the previous is completely presented.
That is likely to be annoying.
G.sync paces your graphics card so that does not happen.

I am not a FPS gamer but I think you would find the situation without g.sync annoying.

Then... what would you do??

Dr Girlfriend

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015

I read that the tearing is noticeable, is it really? Or just something you might notice every once in awhile.

Dr Girlfriend

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015

An LG W2340 (had it for like 6 years). Was wanting to upgrade because I'm doing a system rebuild, and getting a better monitor is something I've been wanting to do for awhile. Plus I mostly play FPSs, so the extra hz would be dandy.

Assuming your GTX970 and cpu can generate frame rates faster than your current refresh rate, you will be exposed to screen tearing.
That is where a new image arrives before the previous is completely presented.
That is likely to be annoying.
G.sync paces your graphics card so that does not happen.

I am not a FPS gamer but I think you would find the situation without g.sync annoying.

Then... what would you do??

Solution

Dr Girlfriend

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015

Cry in a corner and maybe get a nice 2k monitor instead, to tide me over until 144hz G-Sync is reasonable.