is it worth it to go with 4k monitor with DSR

In a previous discussion, some claimed that DSR made 4K almost like obsolete, since you can get somewhat similar graphics resolution just using a regular monitor. No one would claim that DSR at 4K is better than true 4K native resolution, but their point is well taken. Either way, no one is going to seriously be playing games at 4K with a single graphics card, either with a true 4K monitor, or by using 4K resolution downscaled with DSR.

the_bears

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2013
@ Lone

Well I have thought about buying Acer the IPS 144HZ 4k one that is going out but Since the price will be high in this country of mine, I thought about getting a 144Hz monitor with 1080p ? So I dont know is it worth it to go with 4K with DSR released ? Would be a money saver.

@ 17
So is it better to go with 4k Monitor or play with 1080p with DSR ? This is for old games and some 2011-2012 ones ?

-Lone-

Admirable
I'd say stick with 1080p or 1440p 144Hz if you play old games or some new ones. Even if there is a 4k 144Hz monitor out, you can't use its full capabilities because there is no GPU with displayport 1.3 yet, and that's still only up to 120Hz. Also there is no displayport 1.3 cable for sale as well. You'd need to spend a huge amount of money to get 4 GPUs to run 4k at 144Hz assuming upcoming GPUs will still be powerful enough.