Is it worth it to install windows 10 for free on my windows 7 OS? Especially for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theminecraftaddict555

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014
I have a windows 7 64 bit OS and I am wondering if it is worth it to upgrade from 7 to 10 especially for gaming?

Also should I do any backups before upgrading to windows 10?

If i do download windows..How long is it going to be free?

Solution
I wouldn't be in any hurry to make the jump on a daily driver operating system anyhow. It's far more prudent to use Win10 as a rental car and wait until the majority of full version bugs are worked out, which judging from previous OS releases, will likely be about four to six months from now, minimum.
I would not do that. I think you are referring to the beta. The final version is not scheduled to sometime late next year. Just stay with Windows 7 unless you have a test PC that you don't mind having a bunch of errors or workarounds you could test the beta

bignastyid

Titan
The retail version of 10 isn't even out yet so its hard to compare. The big difference in gaming is probably going to be DX12 which is exclusive to windows 10. Windows 10 will be available as a free upgrade for 1 year. You should always keep a backup.

USAFRet

Titan

The final version will start rolling out at the end of this month, not next year.

The final version is coming out this month to some, and will be rolling out next month for the rest of the world. Where do you get sometime late next year?

plast0000

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013

Starting from July 29 2015 till Probably July 29 2016
It will be free for users with a valid Windows 7 / 8/8.1 license

For what its worth, I've been playing WOT on win10 preview and it works fine. I wouldn't hurry to upgrade from win7, but if you have a win 8 or 8.1 the upgrade to win10 is a step up based on what I've seen. (I mainly use win7, but have one system at win 8.1 and two at win 10 preview)

One downside, many things that are supported on win 7 and win8 are not yet supported on win10. Things like loading BIOS updates on MB might best be done using the BIOS support and not windows for a while, likewise there is risk that network adapters won't get updated, etc.

When has there EVER been a version of ANY OS that wasn't buggy? None that I know of. Less buggy, maybe. Bug free, probably not likely or even possible. There's too many variables to ever effectively eliminate the possibility of something conflicting or being vulnerable.

USAFRet

Titan

Consulting my crystal ball.......It says "Maybe, probably, who knows".

I wouldn't be in any hurry to make the jump on a daily driver operating system anyhow. It's far more prudent to use Win10 as a rental car and wait until the majority of full version bugs are worked out, which judging from previous OS releases, will likely be about four to six months from now, minimum.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS