[SOLVED] Is it worth it to trade?

Syous13

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
Hey guys, so I have a High Power hpg 600w Bronze rated PSU, I use it with a watercooler fix 8350 @ 4.6Ghz and a crossfire of 2 r7 250x (really low demand GPUs) and it’s been fine, haven’t had problems.

I have an opportunity right now to trade it for a Thermaltake Tr2 Rx 850w Bronze rated, single rail. I do know this psu is old as hell and not great.

the situation is I plan on doing a crossfire of 2 Rx 480’s right now and would like to know if the tr2 will handle it better than the High Power. Should I make the trade?

Solution
Actually let me clarify. It’s never been used, I just meant the model is old as hell, but it’s never been used because the owner got this as a gift but had already bought a much higher quality Corsair psu, so it’s just been sitting. Comes in box and everything

and to be clear, yea I know it’s be quite bottlenecked and that it doesn’t really have much support, it’s more of an aesthetic thing as I’ve always wanted a dual gpu setup

In box could be OK but hard to say since its just been sitting. No real reviews on the unit to be sure. But 850W would be vastly better for the setup you are planning. I would personally test it first before buying anything else.

And just another warning, without major support comes more issues with...
Recommended is a 650W PSU. Your existing would not be able to handle it per recommendations. With that CPU though you would probably want minimum 750W.

However I would recommend against taking a used PSU as you have no idea how well maintained it was or if it was pushed to its limits. Would be better off getting a new PSU.

On the flip side, Crossfire is not heavily supported in games now (nor SLI) as high performing single GPUs are the go to. As well your CPU would bottleneck the living crap out of a single RX 480 let alone two RX 480s.

I don't know anything about the High Power PSUs but I do know the original non Bronze rated Thermaltake TR2 RX was junk. Saying that I cant comment if Thermaltake made any changes for the Bronze rated model but I personally would avoid it.

If you are planning on running two cards even a budget Corsair CX650 (not the builder or green label model) or CX650m would be better options. 750 watt version of either PSU might be a safer bet though.

Syous13

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
Recommended is a 650W PSU. Your existing would not be able to handle it per recommendations. With that CPU though you would probably want minimum 750W.

However I would recommend against taking a used PSU as you have no idea how well maintained it was or if it was pushed to its limits. Would be better off getting a new PSU.

On the flip side, Crossfire is not heavily supported in games now (nor SLI) as high performing single GPUs are the go to. As well your CPU would bottleneck the living crap out of a single RX 480 let alone two RX 480s.
Actually let me clarify. It’s never been used, I just meant the model is old as hell, but it’s never been used because the owner got this as a gift but had already bought a much higher quality Corsair psu, so it’s just been sitting. Comes in box and everything

and to be clear, yea I know it’s be quite bottlenecked and that it doesn’t really have much support, it’s more of an aesthetic thing as I’ve always wanted a dual gpu setup

Syous13

Prominent
Dec 25, 2019
I don't know anything about the High Power PSUs but I do know the original non Bronze rated Thermaltake TR2 RX was junk. Saying that I cant comment if Thermaltake made any changes for the Bronze rated model but I personally would avoid it.

If you are planning on running two cards even a budget Corsair CX650 (not the builder or green label model) or CX650m would be better options. 750 watt version of either PSU might be a safer bet though.
Yea but I don’t really want or can spend money on a psu right now, am only considering this because it’s a straight up trade. And from the reviews I’ve seen the bronze version handles well up to 750-800w, it just doesn’t do well AT ALL at full load

In box could be OK but hard to say since its just been sitting. No real reviews on the unit to be sure. But 850W would be vastly better for the setup you are planning. I would personally test it first before buying anything else.

And just another warning, without major support comes more issues with CFX. Even if a game doesn't support it sometimes they hate when two cards are installed. SO if you are able to overlook the issues for aesthetics go for it.

Reactions: richyrt
Solution