Question Is it worth it to upgrade from 2400 MHz RAM to 3200 MHz?

Jun 30, 2019
So I'm thinking of upgrading my RAM, but I want to know if it's worth it at all. I mainly use my PC for multiplayer gaming and audio/video editing and encoding. I currently have 32 GB of 2400 MHz RAM. Would it be worth it to step up to 32 GB of 3200 MHz RAM? A lot of the online games I play are very CPU intensive and even on my i7 9700k overclocked to 5.1 GHz I still get CPU usage in the 90's and GPU usage in the 50's-60's, and I'm starting to think the RAM might be the bottleneck. I also do still need to have the 32 GB for all my non-gaming tasks. For reference, here is my system:

CPU: i7 9700K

Mobo: ROG Strix Z390-E

GPU: GTX 1070 ti

RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz (Crucial Ballistix Sport)

PSU: EVGA 700B

Jun 30, 2019
Only if you have a Ryzen processor because they use infinity fabric otherwise not really
I actually just ended up upgrading and to my surprise, it made a huge difference actually. I used to get around 80-90 fps in the games I play, and now I'm getting between 130-160 fps and my cpu usage is around the same as my gpu usage now! It seems the RAM actually was the bottleneck. The only problem I've had is both XMP profiles are only stable until 3100 MHz. I'd like to figure out how to get all the way up to the advertised speed. I know 100 MHz isn't going to make a difference, but it bothers me nonetheless lol.

I actually just ended up upgrading and to my surprise, it made a huge difference actually. I used to get around 80-90 fps in the games I play, and now I'm getting between 130-160 fps and my cpu usage is around the same as my gpu usage now! It seems the RAM actually was the bottleneck. The only problem I've had is both XMP profiles are only stable until 3100 MHz. I'd like to figure out how to get all the way up to the advertised speed. I know 100 MHz isn't going to make a difference, but it bothers me nonetheless lol.
That is amazing!

That is quite surprising as Intel has been known to not care for RAM but Ryzen can't live without it but good for you!