Question Is it worth it to upgrade from a 3700x to a 7800x3d?

Apr 10, 2023
I have a 3700x and a 6700xt pc with 32 gb of ram. i wanted to upgrade to the 5800x3d but the 7800x3d released and when i priced out an uprgade keeping my current gpu and case i found that itll cost me around 1100 dollars. thats with 2 sticks of DDR5 ram, an AIO, MB and PSU. i was just curious what my improvemnt on performace would be is all.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I have a 3700x and a 6700xt pc with 32 gb of ram. i wanted to upgrade to the 5800x3d but the 7800x3d released and when i priced out an uprgade keeping my current gpu and case i found that itll cost me around 1100 dollars. thats with 2 sticks of DDR5 ram, an AIO, MB and PSU. i was just curious what my improvemnt on performace would be is all.
Going by this without knowing what all you use the PC forI don't think it worth the extra 800 bucks.
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-7800X3D-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-5800X3D/m2081998vsm1817839

From this if high FPS gaming is important it might be.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVyiyGGCGhE

Reactions: Firestone

Firestone

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2015
I wouldn't even bother unless you really have $325 you feel like spending on the 5800x3d

There's no real benefit to generating game fps higher than your monitor refresh rate and if your 3700x isn't hitting that then you'll likely get a bigger boost from upgrading your GPU instead (and selling the old one on eBay)

AgentBirdnest

Respectable
Jun 8, 2022
I'm gonna throw another vote in for the 5800X3D. It's a speed demon, and there are more noticeable upgrades that you could make elsewhere with the $800 saved.
Personally, I'm planning to make a similar upgrade. I'm on a 3700X right now, and am planning to move to a 5950X (for video encoding, with gaming on the side), because I just can't justify the cost of going all the way to Zen4. That's just me. It's awfully tempting to buy the latest and greatest, but I ask myself, "what would I realistically be satisfied with." For me and my budget, I believe that'd be Zen3.
To each their own, but since you asked, there's my answer. : )

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Worth it? Can't say. I'm not you, and only you can decide the value overall. Unless you are a serious, Professional Gamer, with cat-like reflexes and and intimate understanding of both the game and it's dynamics, you can't see a difference between 300fps on a 3700x and the 500+ fps of a 7800x3D in CSGO.

So is the upgrade a realistic necessity because games are not smooth, have cpu caused lag, just not that enjoyable an experience or is the upgrade a peer pressure induced want, because someone on youtube said better performance numbers will make you happier?

I am in a similar situation but I decided to upgrade from 3700x to 5800x3d once I have enough saved money to get a new gpu and a new monitor. Current gpu is a 2080 ti. Others are right you won't see the difference between 300 and 500fps or even 200 and 300fps. Also the difference between the 5800x3d and the 7800x3d is small and you're better off spending the extra money on a new gpu, you will get more fps with a new gpu vs a 7800x3d.

Would you be able to percieve the framerate increase going from a 3700x to a 5800x3d? No.

Do you experince a smoother gaming experience going from a 3700x to a 5800x3d? Yes, yes you do. Why is that?

Any cpu by AMD or Intel in the last few years will play pc games at very good framerates. The difference is the low FPS that makes that that you will notice in creating smoother framerates.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2uro1TOFPo

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw97hj18OUE

The difference in the 1% FPS lows between the two can be quite dramatic depending on the title. The low FPS can be perceived as a stutter during gameplay if it drops too low.

I'm not responding to this thread as someone with an informed opinion. I'm actually someone that has made this change. in cpu's on a pc used solely for gaming.

Feb 23, 2023
I wouldn't even bother unless you really have $325 you feel like spending on the 5800x3d

There's no real benefit to generating game fps higher than your monitor refresh rate and if your 3700x isn't hitting that then you'll likely get a bigger boost from upgrading your GPU instead (and selling the old one on eBay)

That is very, very wrong. Frame times are very important:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjWSRTYV8e0

KyaraM

Admirable
With your current GPU, the 5800X3D would be enough; honestly, I don't think it would make a huge difference in average FPS due to the GPU, but 1% lows should be noticeable at least (smoother gameplay, reduced microstutters etc.). Depending on the resolution and future GPU upgrades, it will be enough for quite a while, honestly. Is it worth it? Well, I don't think anyone here can give you a definitive answer, really; only you can tell. It would be the best bang-for-buck upgrade for your current system, however, provided gaming is your main use for it.

I upgraded from a 3700X to 5800X3D and it was an excellent upgrade but I had also upgraded from 144Hz to 240Hz. At 144Hz I found the 3700X good enough.

If building a new system then I would go 7800X3D. However as you already have an AM4 platform the upgrade seem pointless. Although the 7800X3D is stronger in reality it nots stronger by enough that your games will actually feel better. Yes your fps counter would be higher but it’s not until you get to much higher % gains can you start to feel any difference.

Reactions: GarrettL
No, it's definitely not worth it. There are things to consider as to what IS worth it, but it won't be the R7-7800X3D. I'll explain:

The first question that I have is:
"Is your R7-3700X not performing to your satisfaction?"

What I mean by that is:
  1. Is it noticeably laggy in applications?
  2. Is it noticeably hurting your gaming performance?
  3. Is it taking forever to complete productivity tasks?
If your answer to #1 is yes, then I recommend the R7-5700X. That would instantly fix any lagginess that you're experiencing. I don't think that you are experiencing this because my old R5-3600X is still plenty quick for normal application tasks and the R7-3700X is a faster CPU than the R5-3600X.

If your answer to #2 is yes, then drop in an R7-5800X3D. I'd rather have that CPU with 32GB of DDR4 than an R7-7800X3D with only 16GB of DDR5. I put my money where my mouth is because I personally AM running an R7-5800X3D with 32GB of DDR4. I bought it only because I build systems with my older parts and sell them to friends and co-workers for very good prices.

If your answer to #3 is yes, then get an R9-5950X, drop it in and you won't have to worry about anything for a long time. The R9-5950X is one of the greatest CPUs that AMD has ever made. Gamers Nexus calls it the most performance-efficient CPU that they've ever seen.

If your answer to all of these is "no", then you shouldn't upgrade at all. You should only spend money when you're no longer satisfied with what you have. To do otherwise is to be a consumerist robot.

You have an AM4 platform and its biggest strength is drop-in CPU upgrades. You'd be a fool not to take advantage of that. You have 32GB of DDR4 and I'd take 32GB of DDR4 over 16GB of DDR5 every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Besides, if you get as much as you can out of what you have, by the time you want to upgrade to the next platform (AM5), everything will be cheaper and any platform bugs will have been ironed out by then.

The AM4 platform is, without a doubt, the greatest PC platform ever made and it's not even close. It brought AMD from the brink of bankruptcy to being a household name that's almost as well-known as Intel instead of being rather obscure like it used to be.

Just look at the gaming performance of the R7-5800X3D, even compared to the (much faster) R7-7800X3D (Credit to Techspot):
Average-p.webp

Now, it sure looks like the R7-7800X3D is much faster than the R7-5800X3D and it is. However, you have to take a couple of things into account. Firstly, you're never going to notice the difference in a game between 178FPS and 221FPS. They're both going to be perfect and they're going to be perfect for years to come because they both more than max-out 144Hz monitors. If you don't even have a 144Hz monitor but a 60Hz like most people, it will take even longer before you can tell the difference.

By the time the R7-5800X3D is no longer good enough to game with (we're talking at least 5 years here), the cost difference between an entire AM5 platform and just the R7-5800X3D would be enough to buy you an AM5 platform that's much faster than anything available now. Bank the money you save by only buying the R7-5800X3D instead of the entirely new platform and you'll be able to upgrade again to something even faster than the new platform without spending one extra red cent.

During that time, your gaming performance will still be flawless because it's still a 5800X3D. If games change to use cache more often, you might even see your 5800X3D get faster in games than it was when you bought it. That's exactly what happened to me with my FX-8350 because over the five years that I used it, games evolved to use more and more cores. This meant that they were better able to utilise the 8 CPU cores (ALUs) in the FX-8350 and my gaming performance in later games was faster than in earlier games. Instead of slowing down over time, it got faster or at least, remained the same (and it was a damn good gaming CPU!).

Hardware always out-paces software because the hardware gets made and then the software gets made to take advantage of the new hardware. Thus, we've entered a new period of CPU stagnation because software now has to catch up. Thanks to AMD, we went from a minimum of 2 cores and a maximum of 4 cores to a minimum of6 cores and a maximum of 16 cores. I'm willing to bet that you'd be perfectly happy with an 8-Core Zen3 CPU (Ryzen 5000-series) for at least another five years (and maybe more). Here's a video explaining the current situation (It's really good):

Reactions: Kona45primo