[SOLVED] Is it worth it to upgrade from an i7 4790K to an 9700k?

Solution
That all hinges on your financial situation and how many hours per week you're gaming (and what kind of games). You'd be looking at a 30+% improvement in frame rates for CPU-heavy games.

For hobbyist photo editing, your current CPU is fine.

Last edited:

samwaz

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
As said above, what is your current workload?

If you do a good amount of gaming and photo editing (I'm also a photo editor in Lightroom), the 9700K will definitely be a serious upgrade for you. it will be well worth it if the price is right. If it's way overpriced, perhaps consider AMD Ryzen.
I edit in photoshop with a lot of adjustment layers and also high resolution RAW files with camera raw , with multiple images and tabs open and also moderate multi tasking . Do you think Ryzen 7 will be a better choice for me over intel?

You would see a performance difference yes, but you're in a position where the i7 4790k, though it may be pushing 5 years, it's still a relevant processor by today's standards. If I were in your position, i'd wait for Intel to counter. It may be 1-2 years, but the fact that you have to spend $500 on a hyper-threaded 8 core chip is ridiculous. I say give Intel a chance to respond/counter to Ryzen 3rd gen because you'll likely get more cores/threads at a higher frequency for the money when it's time. If you must upgrade now, go Ryzen 3rd gen. The i7 9700k is the future i5. Games like Battlefield V peg i5 hex core processors at 100% load already.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS