[SOLVED] Is it worth it to upgrade from i5 4690k

Jun 11, 2020
I am currently running my i5 4690k with an rtx 2060 super. I was looking to upgrade my cpu, but I wanted to know if it would make a major difference as when I check my task manager in game it shows 100 percent use of both cpu and gpu in modern warfare? would this mean that there is no bottleneck? If it would make a difference in framerate to upgrade my cpu which would you recommend, I use a 1440p 144hz monitor for reference. Thanks

Solution
It would definitely benefit you to upgrade your CPU since you're running a 144hz display and probably want to try and maintain something as close to that as possible, depending on some other factors like settings and what kind of games you tend to play of course. I have a 2060 Super, and a 144hz 1440p display as well, and I can tell you that even with my 6700k I'm looking to upgrade when the right CPU or deal comes along because I'm CPU limited right now and it's painfully obvious in some games.

I'm doubtful that a 4790k upgrade is the right one for you though, considering my 6700k is holding me back. I'd think a full platform upgrade would make a lot more sense BUT of course it's probably about 40% more expensive than just a CPU...
It would definitely benefit you to upgrade your CPU since you're running a 144hz display and probably want to try and maintain something as close to that as possible, depending on some other factors like settings and what kind of games you tend to play of course. I have a 2060 Super, and a 144hz 1440p display as well, and I can tell you that even with my 6700k I'm looking to upgrade when the right CPU or deal comes along because I'm CPU limited right now and it's painfully obvious in some games.

I'm doubtful that a 4790k upgrade is the right one for you though, considering my 6700k is holding me back. I'd think a full platform upgrade would make a lot more sense BUT of course it's probably about 40% more expensive than just a CPU upgrade as well. Still, used Haswell i7's aren't cheap and it's money better put towards something newer that performs better AND is going to have a lot more life in it than something that's already five years old.

Reactions: Shektron
Solution