Question Is it worth it to upgrade my EVGA - GeForce GTX 770 2 GB Superclocked ACX Video Card?

Mar 9, 2019
I know lots of people post questions very similar to this one, but I am not sure if it is worth it to upgrade given that I built many computer at the end of 2013 and I am not sure which card to upgrade to, but I've been looking at the GTX 1050ti, but I'm not sure if that is too small of an upgrade. The caveat is that my graphics card was shot after only 2.5 years and needed to be removed. I tried the baking method since I was broke and it actually worked for the most part. It functions, but there are lots of different graphics in games that it won't process effectively, like guns and specific animations in Apex Legends. Given my other components, would you recommend I upgrade my GPU? What might you recommend that isn't terribly expensive (<$300)?

Here are my other components:

CPU: Intel - Core i5-4670 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI - B85-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 840 EVO 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Thanks for any help!

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
The 1660 ti is pretty much the fastest card under $300. It would be a very large upgrade in terms of performance versus the 770. However your CPU may hold it back it bit in more cpu heavy titles. Apex Legends is not very CPU heavy so I wouldn't expect something like a 1660 ti to be held back much in that game.

I would upgrade the GPU first then maybe consider an upgrade to ryzen or a recent intel platform down the road. An i7 4770 or 4790 would be a decent CPU upgrade that will work with your motherboard if you can find it for cheap used. But personally I would save up for a switch. Going to ryzen or recent intel would require a new motherboard, DDR4 RAM, as well as the CPU.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019
Thank you so much for the help! I'll definitely check that out. I was worried that the CPU may hold back a GPU upgrade. Perhaps in a little bit I can start to upgrade the other aspects.

GTX1050ti is a sideways move.
GTX1660ti fits your budget and is a very nice upgrade, particularly for fast action games.

Your 4670 is still a very competent processor.
Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Mar 9, 2019
GTX1050ti is a sideways move.
GTX1660ti fits your budget and is a very nice upgrade, particularly for fast action games.

Your 4670 is still a very competent processor.
Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Thanks, that's good advice. I checked it out and the FR definitely goes down when I put the settings higher. For Apex, I'm currently running lowest settings because it seems to have such a hard time rendering. It looks like I need to invest in that GTX 1660ti.

Apr 26, 2018
I would recommend getting a used 1070 ti. You can find them on eBay for around 300, with one or two being below 300. 1660 ti is great, but the 1070 ti is what I would buy.