[SOLVED] Is it worth it to upgrade my GPU from a 1080ti to a 3080?

david37362

Commendable
Jan 10, 2019
I have a 1080 ti at the moment and an I7-6700k CPU. I can't upgrade my CPU without getting a new motherboard and I'm not confident enough to replace that myself. Would one of the 3000 series GPUs be seriously bottlenecked by this CPU? Is the jump from a 1080 ti to a 3080 (or something like that) even that significant anyway?

Solution
I have a 1440p monitor that I like to play on, but I also have the option of my 4k tv that I can connect to with an HDMI cable that supports 60hz.
Well, the 30x0 series cards will run 2k but have diminishing returns when you go below 4k.
As for your motherboard worries, think of it like this:
You could get a nice ASUS mobo, say one of these or something similar: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813119152?Item=N82E16813119152
That one is an older LGA 1151 model, so it uses some pretty available RAMM and some pretty available CPUs if you like intel.
If I were you, I would get some very simple components like this mobo with a new cpu and ramm. Mobo specs tell you what it accepts, just compare and contrast and choose some parts...
I have a 1440p monitor that I like to play on, but I also have the option of my 4k tv that I can connect to with an HDMI cable that supports 60hz.
Well, the 30x0 series cards will run 2k but have diminishing returns when you go below 4k.
As for your motherboard worries, think of it like this:
You could get a nice ASUS mobo, say one of these or something similar: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813119152?Item=N82E16813119152
That one is an older LGA 1151 model, so it uses some pretty available RAMM and some pretty available CPUs if you like intel.
If I were you, I would get some very simple components like this mobo with a new cpu and ramm. Mobo specs tell you what it accepts, just compare and contrast and choose some parts.
If you are really uncomfortable with the installation process, you could always ask a friend to assist you or take it to a shop with the parts in hand and get it built.
When I built mine, my biggest nervousness came from putting the CPU in that lever on the mobo- made me sweat and hands were shaking cause you know, you're holding a tiny metal square you just paid $500. But my friend took it and just slapped it in, works flawlessly.
I would also get a 4k monitor if you do want to utilize the 3000 series to it's fullest. The one I'm after is $800 though, so I might wait a bit on that.
I would also run a 750W or more PSU just incase.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS